fiberglass headliner

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:46 pm
I have a 93 chevy ext cab pickup. The sagging headliner fabric has got to go. I do have some experience using fiberglass to repair motorhome walls. My question is: Once i remove the fabric from the fiberboard and clean it can I just apply resin to the fiberboard, let it soak in and cure. and then sand and primer? My thoughts are that the existing fiberboard will work like fiberglass matting. or after applying the resin do I still need to ust some matting? I dont need much strength but I do need the fiberboard to be sealed and waterproof before I primer and paint it. The truck sees frequent trips to local mud bogs so i need it to be a washable surface. If the resin will soak into the fiberboard will this work like i think it will? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:02 pm
Well, first let me say that I've never exactly done what you are talking about. Old Pontiac Fieros had like a puke yellow foam board for a headliner that would break up like potato chips as it aged. I've repaired them by brushing in medium thickness super glues and while the glue was still wet adding finely chopped up mat. They were stiff enough when done to put new headliner on and re-install without breaking.
As long as the resin isn't eating the foam I think this would work. Audio guys work a lot with just t-shirt poly cotton for shaping and strengthening. You could probably just stretch that out wetted over the foam and you would have a nice textured surface. JoAnn fabric shops sell that stuff in colors right off the bolt. You might not even have to paint it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:15 pm
or,,,just get you some fabric from the local upholstery shop and use the 3M adhesive spray. Clean it real good,,,spray the glue on and lay your fabric down.

I have done quite a few. Its very easy. I wouldn't use F/Glass resin........

Here it is,, http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-Adhes ... B0053PYD32
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 am
ODG I think he was just trying to get something "waterproof" because he mud bogs the truck. Almost all upholstery let's go eventually if it keeps getting soaked to the glue line over and over, especially when it's overhead like this. Only exception to that might be some marine grade vinyl.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm
I do mud bog the truck so the waterproofing will be an added feature for cleanup. My plan is to customize the headliner. I have a friend that is a talented air brush artist that is willing to paint, airbrush and clear the entire headliner if I can get it in primer. Ive tried the replacement fabric before on other vehicles and nothing ever holds up as well as the factory glue. Ive been able to get just over a year outta doing it myself and im looking for longer results than that. Its not something i enjoy doing and the sagging fabric drives me nuts!!! Im tall enough it rubs my head lol thank you guys for the input. i may have to build a mold and make one out of fiberglass.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:47 pm
I've done exactly that to a dodge ram headliner. Yes it does work. After sanding and paint it's the best headliner you'll ever have. Strip the foam first though or the resin will keep soaking in and you'll use a lot more than you'd need to otherwise. That's the only mistake I made the first time I tried it. BUT IT DOES WORK!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic