First Bumper Repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:49 pm
First off, sorry I don't have any before pictures, I got too carried away an never took any.

The driver side corner was cracked from the top down to where it bulges out, it has a rip where the car has been backed up into something point and torn through the bumper on the back, it was very scuffed up and had scratches of paint removed length wise

Here is a edited version of what it looked like

I used a plastic welder and heat gun to melt the plastic back to a more managable shape where it was torn, and plastic wleded the tear in the corner, I then used Evercoat eurosoft for a little extra flexibility to cover up and pin holes or depressions left in the plastic.

Once everything was back to an acceptable shape, I sanded everything smooth and threw some adhesion promoter on any bare plastic areas, scuffed up any remaining factory paint, and got to spraying.

This is for a 2000 Civic DX we paid $2800 for with 90k miles, it is a complete beater/commuter car, so I wasn't looking for anything immaculate but I am happy with my first time results. The only thing I don't like is the silver metallic and how it seems blotchy at certain light angles, in person straight from above, it looks uniform and a solid color, but from the sides or 45 degree angles it looks spotty, I wouldn't want to work with metallic again if I had a choice.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:31 am
Looks good - nice job fixing the damage. Silver metallics are tough but with practice I'm sure you would get it.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic