CUSTOM bumper job HELP

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 am
so my bro has a 02 lancer nd been complaining about his car not looking good and not having fog lights and so i had an idea and i got a good used bumper from my local junkyard and wana mod it to have the mits lancer evo fogs so the bumper already has fog hole but no fogs/fog connects at all so i can order universal cables and realy/ fuses for it my question is shaping and covering the hole currently on the bumper first so i seen a utube vid on a guy covering the back with aluminium tape then using expanding foam then cutting it and fiberglassing it/ bondo i was just wondering if that a good methed nd or if there is any other way of doing it becuz i wana just cover the hole and then re-cut and shape it to the diameter of the fogs thanks appreciate it srry for the short words and any misspell im just in a hurry cuz this is going be his xmas present lol

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Well, yeah, guys do this a lot. Just keep in mind that if you get much flexing in the bumper the bondo is just kind of a surfacer and not going to flex like the surrounding plastic. Doesn't sound like a big deal but parking blocks are murder on bumpers and ground effects. Just try to mount securly as you can to the bumper cover itself and you might try one of the more flexible fillers like USC's Poly Flex (type of Body Icing but even more flexible) for the surfacing. I've seen Poly Flex take quite a hit and still remain intact.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic