Honda Civic Bumper Repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:26 pm
Hey guys, I recently repaired the back bumper on the civic we bought over the summer, now I need to repair the front.

The front is a whole new issue though, it is missing a good chunk of bumper on the corner. I was thinking I could cut a piece of Styrofoam shape it to the other side and use fiberglass to build a new piece, but will fiber glass adhere to the bumper?

Here are some pictures, the crack is a piece of cake to fix compared to the missing plastic, I have plastic welded the back bumper so its just a repeat of that, but what can I do for the corner?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 am
I doubt that simply applying fiberglas to a urethane bumper like that is going to be a lasting repair.

If we were dealing with a rare car here it would make sense to me to try to reconstruct that missing plastic -- but since it's a Civic can't you find a decent pull from a salvage yard? Seems like an awful lot of work, otherwise.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:44 am
Yep, don't get it. Why does everybody want to repair these bumper covers? I was at a large car show with swap meet over the summer. Swappers had dozens of import bumper covers stacked up like cord wood. Most of them were $20 to $30 and $60 at the most. And no, fiberglas shouldn't be used to repair urethane.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:54 pm
I just find it a shame to buy a new bumper for such a small broken piece

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:23 pm
I know, I know. But, if you don't repair it with "like" material it just won't last. So if you plastic weld,.... don't happen to have any more urethane scraps laying around do ya? Weld in a scrap piece and fill out with a flexible body icing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:47 am
Darrel is right.
Do all of your structural repair on the back with like products, and then a filler made for plastic on the outside. I wouldnt use fiberglass of any kind.

If it was mine I would replace it. But if you have to repair it, 3M makes a lot of good products for this.....
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:40 pm
Teroson make a product called Terokal 9225 which is a 2 part urethane specifically for bumper repairs (there are other brands with similar products). I pay about $30 for the tube which is enough for 4-5 average repairs.

Using a heat gun get the larger dents out and the edges of the split to line up. Clean the back of the bar around the repair area well and then scuff with 80 grit. Lay down a thin bed of the mixed 9225, extending about 30mm either side of the split and then lay a pre-cut piece of mesh (I use fibreglass flyscreen mesh) into the bed and press down well. Cover with another layer of 9225 and press in/smooth off with a plastic scraper. Total thickness about 4mm will do.

When set, flip the bar over and V out the splits then fill with more of the 9225. Sand when set and, if necessary skim the area with a little filler for a nice smooth finish. Sand, prime and paint.

Total repair time, excluding painting, less than 30 minutes. I find this more economical than buying a reconditioned, repaired bar which I can generally get for around $120.
Chris

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic