what did i do wrong?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm
I'm painting a lower part to my motorcycle, its made out of fiber glass, I used itching primer, then 3 coats of enamel color and three coats of enamel clear, all out of a rattle can...this keeps happening (3 times)...thoughts?
Attachments
photo.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:57 pm
He, he, well, they threw you over here in plastic fantastic land. Okay, first we call that the "self wrinkling effect" which can be caused by several things. First thought would be your "itching primer" which I'm hoping is a self etching primer :) . I would guess that your canned etch primer was more like a simple lacquer based product and you probably put your canned enamel over it while it was still "gassing off" solvent. Air reactive enamel hits solvent, boom!, stripping effect. Next thought would be you didn't notice on the cans of most enamels it gives a "time window" in which you have to spray all of your coats of enamel and then that window closes. IF you add more coats just after that window has closed, yep, boom!, chemical reaction and let the wrinkling and stripping begin. Most of those canned enamels say more coats can be added in like a day or two LATER. Third, scenario, you just plain hammered on too much enamel at one time and the stuff layered enough that boom!, chemical reaction again.

And now you know why we hate rattle can painting around here and in my opinion the cheap enamels are the worst. My best advice???... ditch all the canned crap, clean everything off down to the fiberglas, get with a good local paint jobber, and have them set you up with REAL aresol canned epoxy as a sealer, and a good single stage urethane in the color you want.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:25 am
So, the solution to itching primer is to scratch it.....until it's gone. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. Darrel is quite right. Remove and re-do, with better products.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Needed a good laugh today, buried up to our eyeballs in snow :( .
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:57 pm
The above info is correct. The biggest thing to learn here is what chemical incompatibility looks like. Lacquer primer + enamel paint = what you have there.

Stay away from rattle can products, they are cheap for a reason. Epoxy primer and urethane paint will give you what you want. Plus, lacquer and enamel dont have the UV protection that a urethane will provide, thus the paint will fade or "chalk" rather quickly.

Start sanding, we've all been there!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic