Painting Trim on Bumper

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 pm
Alright so long story short. I went to get a bumper painted for my RSX and my painter painted a trim that he was suppose to keep black. I believe that the trim was bare plastic. Instead of going through all the hassle of going to fix it, I'm just gonna rattle can that trim piece black. My question is should I just spray over it with black then clear coat it? Or should I buff it up with some sand paper or scotch pad first, then paint, then clear. If I do that second option, how fine of sand paper should I use? I want to make sure that this little trim has a long lasting black paint on it.

To give you a better idea, this is what the bumper looks like. Notice that black strip on the bottom of the bumper.

And here my bumper all ready to be painted.

Inputs would be great guys!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 am
Uhhhh, if you want it to have a long lasting black paint on it, forget the regular rattle can stuff (that would just be a 1k enamel or lacquer). Hit it with that crap and this will be a bi-monthly procedure.... Better idea? Scuff it with some 400 to 600 and have a local paint jobber set you up with a rattle can single stage urethane black in a satin or low luster. It will look good and last.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic