Fix Old Cracked Bumper or Buy New & Paint -Newbie Needs Help

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:57 pm
1-1-20131.jpg
1-1-20131.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 4262 times

:drink:
I have a 2006 Suzuki Aerio Sedan and it has a cracked rear Bumper Cover. Color is Ice Blue. Never done any body work before. Don't have the money to have professional fix and son hit my brother's car so he is allowing us to try and fix it. He does want it done good though.

The way I look at it, I have 2 options:
1. fix existing bumper cracks then sand and paint it.
2. Purchase new OEM bumper cover, then prepare it for painting.

Considering my time, money and the finished look of the bumper, I'm trying to determine which route to take. I don't have the money to have this professionally fixed at a shop. I've looked for a used bumper in good condition, Same model, year and same color of Ice Blue but I had no luck finding one. I did many online searches through salvage yards, etc. and couldn't find the identical cover. I've never done any body work before. I have watched a few videos on repairing the cracked plastic bumper but I'm still not sure how difficult this would be or how effective it would be in the long run. I want it to last and look good. I would rather go this route if I could, because it would save me quite a bit of money. Still, at the same time, I don't have endless time to spend on repairing it and if I do, I want to be pretty sure I am able to do it and make it look good.

My questions are taking all this into account and referencing the pictures, what method would you suggest I go? I can fix old bumper and then have it painted (I'm having someone paint it) or could buy new OEM bumper and have it painted? If I try to fix the bumper, what materials should I go with to fix the cracks? It has about a 9" horizontal crack in upper portion of bumper cover and it has another about 9" vertical crack in lower left side of bumper cover. If these were patched, would the patches last? If done right, would it look good? In order to do it, would I then need to completely sand down the whole bumper or just the area before having it repainted? What steps are necessary? As I stated, I have someone who I am going to pay a fee to have it painted but I need to prepare it. 2. If I buy a new OEM bumper then it comes already primed. Do I need to do anything prior to having it painted?

Either way, I am also concerned about matching the new painted bumper to the car since the car was painted in 2006 and probably has a slight fade. Is there anything that I can do to avoid that or is that a even a problem? I will use the color code for the paint match, correct? I'm really in a bind and I'm trying to make it right but I just don't have a lot to invest in this. I would greatly appreciate any assistance you all could provide. Thanks in Advance.
Last edited by Inabind on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm
You can certainly fix those cracks, and I'd recommend one of the 3M bumper repair (two-component) kits. Use the search feature for the forum here on bumper repair we have covered this topic many times in the past; should be able to find some good threads on technique.

Regarding painting the bumper once it is repaired, to match the rest of the car -- I hate to say this but highly unlikely for a first time painter to be able to get a butt-match to work out.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm
Thanks for your response. So, you think that those 2 cracks could be fixed to look pretty good? About the paint match, how do the professionals match this? I can bring in the car to a paint supply company and have them match it or give them the actual OEM paint color, if that will match the rest of the car. I don't know which method is best to match it. My husband is currently overseas and we are having someone at the auto body shop on Post paint it as they offer this service on post for a price.

Also, I will get the item ready to paint with my son's help. He's only 16. Take into account we have no experience doing this although, my Father did auto body work when I was growing up, however, he said that he never worked with plastic much back then. He has not been able to provide me hardly any advice. Wanted to make sure all the info was out there so I can get the most accurate information.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm
A pro will get the paint mix as close as possible, and use spray-out cards to do tests and see how close he/she can get it to match. If acceptable, they will paint the bumper only. If the match is not good enough but it is 'blendable', then they will paint into the adjoining parts of the car, doing a 'blend' -- which is a gradual taper-off of the new color, to trick the human eye into thinking there is no color difference.

The bumper should be able to be repaired so that subsequent painting, if done right, will make the car look just like it was pre-accident.

Here you go: https://www.autobody101.com/forums/view ... 13&t=17258

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:01 pm
Okay, Chris, Thanks for the info. Is the 3m repairing something that a normal person could do? What procedures do you do, including the sanding, etc? Is there a link? Also, I was planning on just getting the bumper cover removed and worked on. Then going to the paint store and ordering the paint per the OEM number. Do I need to bring the vehicle with me when I get the paint so they can color code the car and not according to the number or bring the car along when they paint the bumper? I had planned to just bring the bumper cover to get it painted and then have it put on. :worthy: Thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm
If someone takes the time to research and learn how to do repair work then yes this is a novice-to-intermediate level of repair. The 3M website also has their product guides and directions that you can view online (PDF files). I provided links to the products in that other thread I linked in my prior post here.

That link in my prior post also describes a fairly detailed procedure.

Always better to bring the vehicle to the paint place, if you can.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic