plastic panting

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:25 am
You're going to try and cut and buff those.... Not saying it can't be done but you better "batten" them down if you are going with a rotary buffer. For me that would be affixing them to a plywood piece, then screwing that down to a bench. I'd only use my regular buffer on the largest of areas and switch to my mini air buffer for the rest of it. In fact for parts like this I don't even cut and buff, I usually sand them and do a final "flow coat" (tweeked to flow out longer and lay flatter) to avoid any cut and buff. You can really mess stuff up that flexes like this pretty fast with a buffer.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:18 pm
Yeah there is really no way of getting it solid enough to do that but how long do you wait to sand and flow coat?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 am
Check your product sheets on your clear first. I usually let my clears harden up some for 3 days to a week, then sand, set overnight and hit it with my clear early the next morning while temp.s are still down. I won't kid you, you really have to tweek both your clear mix and your gun settings for a flat laying coating. Keep your gun moving pretty much continuously laying down a "wave" of clear. You might try a few samples first just to see how much you can get it to lay down.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 am
I think it has been to long I will check to see but it has been four or five weeks now! Thanks for the info

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:23 pm
That shouldn't be a problem. You are only going to get a mechanical bond anyway by sanding the clear before you flow coat.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic