Clear Coating PP auto interior

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 am
I painted my vehicle interior about a year ago and did a color change on it. Problem I'm running into is in the high use areas (kick panels, etc..), the paint will rub off if, for example a shoe rubs across it. Other than that, the paint sticks great. I used SEM products (this one: http://www.tcpglobal.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SEM%2015753), and followed the directions to a "T"; meaning I properly prepped each panel, used the cleaner, AP, paint, and clear, all as recommended.
So, I need a solution to better protect this paint or I'll be touching it up every year or replacing the interior. I've seen mention of this product:http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm and wondered if the two part clear would provide better protection, like it would for a bumper. I'm not sure if its compatible with the SEM product or not. Also, as alluded, I didn't use an epoxy primer, which I've seen mentioned also. Didn't know if that would make a difference, but I don't know how sanding the panels back down and starting over would go, as they have the faux leather texture on them.
Any tips and suggestions are much appreciated! I've already spoken with two local painters, and they either didn't know or didn't care! lol So thanks in advance!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 pm
Well, I understand this completely. Along with our regular furniture wood restoration stuff over the years I've also had some vinyl, plastics, leather classes that extended over into this subject. You are finding out "why" manufacturers mold their colors into their products. Surface paints on most plastics just don't "bite" into the plastic enough to prevent this. Most of those colored paints for application over plastics will indeed react to a 2K urethane and honestly even if you do get them to lay down they'll probably just begin peeling shortly thereafter. On areas that get the foot hits I just quit fighting it and have come up with other materials for those areas. I've done peel and stick low pile carpet, metal plates, etc. Even done some 2k colored bedliner, which, by the way did seem to hold up for quite some time. Ended up selling that car and it still looked pretty good. And in my opinion, no, epoxy primer doesn't do much to help with this.
Not surprised the local painters don't want to fool with it. Not much of a profit area, and too many returns....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 pm
Yeah, i was worried that would be the answer! I'll keep looking for other options. Thanks for the reply!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm
My Tbird originally had a light gold interior. Most of the pieces I need are available only in black or white, I'd have to paint the rest. So, I'm going with a white interior since the car has no AC.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic