Bumper Cover Repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:31 pm
A few weeks ago, I fixed a bumper cover on my sister's LEASED Altima, trying to save her some cash. She backed into a pile of ice, cracking the bumper cover. Lord Fusor epoxy was recommended, and it worked just fine.
Apparently, my sister has a hard time judging using the back-up camera. She again backed into something, cracking the bumper cover in the same place. This time, I decided to plastic weld the crack. I forgot to take pics as I progressed, but will post some as I finish.
To make sure I had the right material for the weld, I called an old customer who owns a body shop, and asked if she had any late model broken Nissan covers, or even just a piece of one. She did, so I got a piece, sanded off the paint, and cut a few strips.
I removed all the epoxy, sanded all paint off about 3" in all directions and made sure I had a sufficient groove for the weld. I used aluminum tape on the outside to keep the pieces aligned, and welded the inside. I left the buildup intact until I had the outside welded. Then I used a course 2" disc to get close, followed by 80 grit, then 150 grit, feathering out the edges. I sprayed the inside of the cover with gray epoxy, so the repair is invisible. I used buff epoxy on the outside, which is where I left off, and will start taking pics tomorrow.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 am
After spot priming the damaged area, the whole cover was scuffed with 320 and shot with white epoxy primer. While wet sanding the primer with P600, I found low spots in the damaged area. They were just small, very shallow depressions that could hardly be felt, but imperfections shouldn't be ignored. So, I sanded off the primer, and filled with Lord Fusor epoxy. the epoxy was sanded with P80, then P150, as per Fusor instructions.

bumper 1 001.JPG

When all edges were feathered, and the repair felt smooth, adhesion promoter was sprayed, followed by more epoxy primer.

bumper 1 002.JPG

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic