Plastic bumper repair

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:47 pm
First question...
Do you think this is repairable? New bumpers are 1K, used are going for half that. Either way, its over-priced. So I would like to attempt to fix this one. Worse comes to worse... I have to replace it.....

lots of scuffing, a couple of cracks and a couple of gouges....

What will I need?
Attachments
Boxster.jpg

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 pm
That looks nasty. Also, consider your time. I have successfully repaired two bumpers (with tears) and it was quite a bit of work.
Jay - Next project: 1968 Chevelle Malibu

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:13 pm
I do 2-3 bars a day and I can assure you that presented with that one I'd jump at a used one for $500. I could fix that, but it would take me some time to get it really right. That's with my skill levels while you're starting from scratch. Chances are that you wouldn't be able to achieve the result that the car deserves. That's no reflection on you, personally, just a statement of fact based on your obvious inexperience in even asking the question you did.

Grab a nice straight used bar or an aftermarket one and paint it. Fit it and move on saving your practice efforts for easier repairs. Alternately, if you have a bar reconditioner nearby, get a price from them to supply on an exchange basis or fix that one for you. They have the equipment, resources and expertise to get it right, with a lot less time investment. It should come back primed and ready to paint.
Chris

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm
OK so the consensuses is NO. I'm sure it's not going to be worth my aggravation and would probably end up looking like s**t. The problem is going to be finding a used bumper, that's going to need some sort of repair. Luckily its a weekend car and I can wait. Thanks all.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic