Ground Effects need to be re-attached - How?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm
hello, I am new here. I have a '02 Firebird with the W68 Sports Appearance Package on it. If you notice in the attached photo there are a few spots where it is releasing from the body. I'd like to fix this ASAP. Can someone please tell me the best method and product? will 3M trim adhesive do the trick? thanks for any advice and types you may have to offer.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:21 pm
Yes, the 3M molding tapes are excellent - I've used them on entire body kits many times and if done correctly the parts will be very secure. There are a few different versions; for the repair you are doing this is what you want:

http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/a ... black.html

Trick is to get all the old stuff off, you may need to use a razor or (very carefully) heat gun. Clean the surfaces well and use the 3M cleaner specifically used with the tape before applying. Apply pressure for about 30 seconds and you are done.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 pm
thank you for your reply. I obtained access to GM service manual for my car. please read what i post in the attached picture. My buddy works at a dealership and he got for me the actual adhesive described below. (GM P/N 12345093)

i like the tape idea. I am just asking if you think the service manual is a better fix?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:15 pm
well...I'd never argue against the OEM service manual, so you should probably go with that repair. The version I gave you was more along the lines of if the tape is missing or damaged and you have to re-do the tape.

Notice in the left-hand column of what you posted, step #2 says "leave the tape there" -- meaning that the adhesive failed but the tape is still there. If the tape itself is loose or damaged then the right-hand column of the guide is what you follow (and was closer to what I was telling you).

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic