painting fiberglass doors 78 camaro

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:18 am
Okay I'm about to paint my camaro fiberglassdoorz how do I prep these doors I believe there gel coated too there brand new..thanks james

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:19 pm
Got a brand name? Did you get a product sheet with them? Do they have a strong fiberglas resin smell coming off them? A lot of these parts are coming on the next boat from China so they are very "fresh." If you are getting a strong chemical smell off of them I would clean them with a water based wax and grease remover and let them set outside (would be nice if you have some sunny days thrown in) for a week or two. They will probably shrink some which is a good thing. You want all of that size change drama over before you start working them. Once they've done that, I would bring them in and hit the finish gel coat sides with soap and water, dry it outside for a half day, then finish off with wax and grease remover again. You can now sand, primer and start looking for pinholes, fiberglas wave, and other defects. Fix them. Prime again, guide coat, prime and move into your paint system. For advice on sanding grits, schedules, etc., go on over to the Stickies in our main Forum.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:39 pm
They are from unlimited they fit better than the stock doors

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 pm
Yep, I take it you mean Unlimited Products out of California. They do all of their own hand laid stuff in-house so you've got it pretty easy. You've got a much less of the resin in those parts so I'd still give them a day or two in the sun and you should be good to go. I've seen a few of their parts at car shows and I would think the prep. should be fairly easy. So I'm assuming a race car build?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic