Help me ID this fiberglass product

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:32 pm
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any clue as to what kind of fiberglass this is? I have reason to believe it's a 3M product.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:56 pm
Looks like a fiberglas resin (brand could be anybodys) and fiberglas cloth like you'd buy down at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. And can I say that what they are doing with it there is generally a REALLY bad idea. I'm assuming that is some type of plastic tailight lense they are grafting into metal. Might hold in to the short term, but it will just split and crack later.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:40 pm
it is fiberglass cloth and many companies make it. and I agree with darrelk that will crack as soon as it is in the sun

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:08 am
As above, woven cloth.

Apart from it being a poor repair method as mentioned, imagine the amount of filler needed to blend that in! :shock:

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:14 pm
That is either a standard "basket weave" glass cloth, or a 181-style cloth. It is hard to tell. I'm leaning towards basket weave, which can be purchased nearly anywhere you buy composite materials. It's a general application, multi-directional cloth.

As for the brush application of the resin, that in the industry we refer to as "straight up bush league"! As was mentioned, there are a hundred reasons why that manner of appilcation will fail. That is not to say that fibreglass cannot be successfully bonded to metal substrate, but the picture definitely shows how not to do it. That would take 10 pounds of Bondo to cover, and will likely crack or corrode.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic