Fiberglaqss safe solvent ?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am
Preping a small RV for paint and first step is to remove the failed & cracked vinyl graphics.
The walls are a white sheet "PPG" product.
Initially tried a "power eraser" but that just made a sticky mess. So ended up using heat gun and plastic razor blades, the vinyl comes off in dime and smaller pieces leaving behind all the adhesive.

What is best product for removing the adhesive and not damaging the fiberglass gel coat?

Have tried some old Lacquer thinner I have and it softens the adhesive so I can scrape most of it off using plastic razor blade but I still need lots of rags and elbow grease to get all the adhesive off and the soft adhesive gets over everything.

At current rate ( 30+ min per sq ft) this job is the most labor intensive body work I have ever done. :knockout:

Any better approach?
Check out my web blog www.RVTiresafety.com
More than just RV tire stuff is covered.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:47 pm
Well, special problems need special solutions. Go on over to.... www.kwickkleen.com You will find a section called, Removers
They do sell a very special fiberglas safe remover that should do the job. Just to make sure it fits the bill you might want to give them a call and talk to Dave White directly to make sure it will work for you. Dave is the president of the company and really understands the demands of special woods, plastics, etc., in the removal process.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:13 pm
You should never use Lacquer thinner to remove adhesive. Use a slow (High Temp) Enamel reducer. It wont hurt the gelcoat.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:03 pm
Agreed, no lacquer thinner. I have mentioned in another post the product Rapid Remover. This stuff is used in the vinyl graphics industry all the time. It will take care of the residue, and will not harm your substrate.

On a vertical surface I tape a rag over the area and soak it with the rapid Remover in a spray bottle. Leave it sit to soften the old adhesive, then remove the rag and wipe away the adhesive. The rag just keeps the product on the surface, as it is a liquid, without the rag it will run off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:59 am
Found gallon size of Goof-Off $20 and it seems to work reasonable well at softening glue. Use plastic razor blade to get most of adhesive off as it is now just soft gunk.

I will try the rag tapped to surface idea.
Check out my web blog www.RVTiresafety.com
More than just RV tire stuff is covered.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic