Reinforcing Tape - Same as plastic drywall reinforcing tape?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 pm
Hello,

Quick question, the reinforcing tape they show being used to repair a plastic bumper cover SURE LOOKS LIKE the same stuff I have used to tape drywall joints. Is it the same stuff?

:neutral:
If you cheapen the job you'll cheapen your reputation!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:01 am
I don't think it's exactly the same, but I've used it and it does the job perfectly well ;-)

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:06 am
Andy T wrote:I don't think it's exactly the same, but I've used it and it does the job perfectly well ;-)

Thanks Andy... since I have drywall tape already it will save me a few bucks...?

BTW what bumper repair product line do you use/recommend ? I have a 3-4 inch long "split" in a 2001 Ford Taurus front bumper cover that needs a reinforced repair and then needs to be re-finished from tan to white to replace front end on that car.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:44 am
We're currently using the Fusor range. Mostly 142 and the adhesion promoter that goes with it (602EZ) and the 114 finishing adhesive sometimes.

Can't fault it really.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:40 am
Andy T wrote:We're currently using the Fusor range. Mostly 142 and the adhesion promoter that goes with it (602EZ) and the 114 finishing adhesive sometimes.

Can't fault it really.

Thank you again... Not sure Fusor is available in America??

Correct myself... I see I can purchase Fusor online from AutoBody Toolmart. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/
Thanks again... :bighug:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 am
You can't go wrong with Fusor products. I've been using them for over 15 years now. All their product spec. sheets are available online.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 am
i do drywall (plastering here in aussie) and if you want a stronger alternative than "ezytape" (the light duty fibreglassing tape) you could try the tape that renderers use on blue board (cement sheeting for outdoor cladding before rendering), its thicker, stronger and sticks heaps better, we use it at work for patch up jobs, i actually havent used it for "bodywork" but we can patch pretty good sized holes in plaster with it!!
krem

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:14 am
We tend to use the mesh type Mirka Abranet strips once they've got no more sanding life left in them. Strong as you like and the fusor soaks through them well.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 pm
Body repair mesh and drywall mesh are not the same, although you could probably use drywall mesh for body work.
I recently used Fusor for a split bumper cover, Great stuff, extremely user friendly, and comes with mesh and plastic membrane to make repairs. Spreads like tub butter, cures quickly, and much easier to sand and feather the edges than other products I've used.
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/lord-fu ... 15949.aspx

It's available at most jobbers as well. I used the smaller 143 size, with an adapter for caulking guns. The adapter has two inserts, for the large and small sizes of 2 part body repair epoxies. The adapter is cheaper than a dedicated two barrel gun, and works just as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Fusor-Caul ... 1118518616

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic