Bumper repair.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:07 am
Vehicle being worked on: '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT. I am trying to fill in the diamond area on the front bumper of my 3000GT. I am using SEM problem plastic repair 39767. I have used an angle grinder to get well below the surface area and roughed it with 60 grit pads. I am still having trouble making it stick. I know I need an adhesion promoter. My question is can I use the same adhesion promoter I use for paint (Klean Strip BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER ETP0123B) or should I go with a product specifically designed for plastic repair, and if so, can you recommend one, that might be sold through a Finishmaster supply store.

Manufacturer
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:54 pm
Aolmsted wrote:Vehicle being worked on: '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT. I am trying to fill in the diamond area on the front bumper of my 3000GT. I am using SEM problem plastic repair 39767. I have used an angle grinder to get well below the surface area and roughed it with 60 grit pads. I am still having trouble making it stick. I know I need an adhesion promoter. My question is can I use the same adhesion promoter I use for paint (Klean Strip BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER ETP0123B) or should I go with a product specifically designed for plastic repair, and if so, can you recommend one, that might be sold through a Finishmaster supply store.

A regular adhesion promoter will work perfectly fine, even over plastic repair. One that you can buy at Finishmasters, look for Bulldog like u said or any other brand will work also. Oh also I'm sure u know, but just to clarify, before paint and thus adhesion promoter, it needs to be final sanded with 320 before paint.

Hope that helps!!

Tammy
Tamco
https://www.facebook.com/TamcoPaint

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:19 pm
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The plastic repair material is not adhering well.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:37 pm
I recently repaired two bumper covers with Lord Fusor epoxy. No problems adhering, no adhesion promoter needed prior to application. Just clean, rough with 80 grit, apply, sand with P80, then P150 before priming. You need the adhesion promoter before priming. It spreads like butter, and I found it much easier to apply and sand than the best body fillers. It's extremely user friendly.
They advise against using solvents before application. One thing you'll need, is either a gun for the epoxy, or an adapter for a regular caulking gun. I used an adapter I bought on ebay, worked perfectly, and about half the price of the dual barrel gun.
The adapter accepts both the small and large sizes of epoxy.
Here's a link for the epoxy. It's very fast drying. They also have a slower version.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/lord-fu ... 15949.aspx

Here's the adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lord-Fusor-Caul ... ls&vxp=mtr

Here's a link to the bumper repair.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22765

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic