More fun with Adhesion Promoter

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:20 pm
I have shot a couple of plastic parts over the past few months, A set of Jeep fender flares, and a steering wheel for a 55 T-Bird. I used a SEM spray can promoter after cleaning the heck out of the plastic, and both times I had the same issue. The primer and paint bonded just fine, but there were little bits of hard plastic that raised up into the finish. Essentially it looked like dust in the paint.

I had to sand off all the hard nibs, and lay down another colour coat.

Is this a common issue, or can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:37 am
If the primer and paint were fine, it sounds like it's in your clear coat.
a bad activator will have little grit that will look like that.
I've never heard of the plastic raising up.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:15 am
Plastic will have little fibers rise up if u sand it, it usually takes a coat of primer or 2 with sanding between to take care of it. if u just scuffed it with scotch pad it shouldn't do that. could also be the static in the plastic, an alcohol based surface cleaner should take care of that tho

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:01 am
Best plastic adhesion promoter i have ever used and never had an issue with is USC Bumper & Cladding Coat Adhesion Primer. This stuff is amazing and you will find a ton of uses for it and on and job that lifting or wrinkling becomes a problem a few light coats of this stuff will take care of it. it is a little expensive though but def worth that money in my opinion.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:36 am
ok this may sound odd but i have painted tons of plastic parts in several auto parts plants in michigan and one thing about plastic parts is that it can trap gasses and air and what not and when scuffed or activated with solvent can pop making peaks or solvent pops (sorta) i rarely use adhesion promoter and never have a problem just a light leveling scuff prime and paint

for what its worth

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic