Help with bondo or some other material to fix plastic

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:15 am
I have a 1990 mustang. It seems most of my dash is attached somewhere with a zip tie because several of my attaching points on different pieces are broken. I have gotten pieces out of a junk yard but they are either the same way or break when assembleing everything.

Is there a material body men use that could be used to repair or "make new" attaching points? One thing I saw while I was at harbor freight was something called a plastic welder. I wonder if I could use this to "weld" a glob of plastic onto the broken/missing piece and drill a hole through that for the screw that attached that piece on to the rest of the dash?

It seems age is catching up with my car lol. Another frustrating thing is the bouncing speedometer. I have replaced the inside of the cable, and went through 3 speedometers. They all eventually start bouncing.....

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am
The one product that keeps me turning to it for plastic repair and all around use is 3Ms 8115 panel bonding adhesive. Works great on plastic and making new tabs just clean and scuff the plastic with 80grit by hand and your ready to go. Just be watch what you get it on because iv seen it glue a tire to the shop floor and pulled a chunck of rubber out of the tire when the car was moved

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 am
stryped wrote:I have a 1990 mustang. It seems most of my dash is attached somewhere with a zip tie because several of my attaching points on different pieces are broken. I have gotten pieces out of a junk yard but they are either the same way or break when assembleing everything.

Is there a material body men use that could be used to repair or "make new" attaching points? One thing I saw while I was at harbor freight was something called a plastic welder. I wonder if I could use this to "weld" a glob of plastic onto the broken/missing piece and drill a hole through that for the screw that attached that piece on to the rest of the dash?

It seems age is catching up with my car lol. Another frustrating thing is the bouncing speedometer. I have replaced the inside of the cable, and went through 3 speedometers. They all eventually start bouncing.....

I would use fiberglass to make the new attachment points. ... here's what I would do. I would take some metal clothes hangers and bend them in the shape I needed. I would take a tiny bit of epoxy and glue it to the dash so it stays in place (a TINY bit.. just enough so that it stays) After that dries and I cleaned up the extra epoxy and re-prepped the surface I would start putting layers of fiberglass down and shaping the new attachment point.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic