How would you prep this hood for paint?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:25 pm
I did a search on fiberglass hood prep, but I am a bit confused on which sandpaper grit to use. I've seen suggestions from 80, 120, 180 and 220. I've already washed the hood with dish soap and cleaned with W&G remover. Do I hand sand or use a DA - which is the best?or preferred method. Also, for the underside of the hood, do I use a red scotchbrit pad to rough on the surface? I will be using guidecoat either way when sanding and making repairs as needed. If I need to do repairs on the hood, what body filler should I use? I see Bondo and the local parts store, but read that I should stay away from them.

Thanks...Al
Attachments
5DM39554-2.jpg
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:09 pm
I treated my camaro's fiberglass good just as if it was steel sandpaper grit wise. I used evercoats "everglass" for filler. It has fiberglass strands which let's it bond and flex as if it was pure fiberglass is what I was told. I've also heard that bondo's pro or fiberglass filler is same scenario. But bondo's brand was a lot harder to sand. But was half the price as everglass. I suggest everglass. Also be very careful to sand light. My hood flexed with little pressure and made getting it straight a pain. Also with it primed already I use that as a STOP SIGN. Even though putting filler over primer is frown on by some you don't want to burn through the primer and into the gel coat. Best of luck

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:44 am
image.jpg
image.jpg
t
image.jpg

Just paint this mustang with aftermarket fiberglass hood
Sanded with 400 grit(wetsand), no need for primer but should throw a sealer before paint,
Paint, then lightly sanded with 2000grit just to smooth out some of the roughness from the metallic
In the paint. Then clear coated. I usually don't sand after I shoot paint, but sometime when shooting metallics you
Occasionally have to do so. This color was tricky, dark grey metallic pearl.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:30 am
Thanks for the tips. I wanted to use some guide coat to make sure it's straight. Can I use scotch brite pads to sand down?

Al
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic