Mostly black hood very dull paint, what to do??

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm
This is on a Class A motorhome with full body paint. My hood is mostly black and very dull (no shine at all). the hood is made of fiberglass. I have had it buffed out a couple times so it was mirror like. But after several days to a few weeks it starts getting very dull again. None of the other colors on the motorhome do this (it's clear coated full body paint). What can I do to make it shine?? Can I clear coat it by rattle can?? If so what are the steps? What other steps can I take to make it shine and stay that way?? If this would be better posted to another forum heading please move it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:55 pm
It sounds like you have an original black gel coat on that hood. After compounding and polishing it would again start to dull because the polyester cannot handle UV exposure and starts clouding and dulling almost immediately. Trying to polish it and then applying any type of UV stabilized clear coat is really pointless as the clear just cannot offer enough protection to stop the reaction. Trust me, I'm that guy that hear's about the latest thing to stop this and usually tries it on some samples of gel coat that I keep around my shop. Best advice?, it would be best scuffed, sealed with epoxy, then done in base/clear or single stage paint. I had a kit car that was doing this same thing all over about 22 years ago, did it in PPG epoxy/base/clear, still shines like it did the day I cut and buffed it after paint.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic