Flexible primer for plastic bumper repair?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:43 pm
Hi guys,

I am currently working on repairing a plastic bumper that had a crack in it.

My local PBE store carries SEM flexible primer:

http://www.semproducts.com/flexible-primer-surfacer/

What concerns me is this is a single component primer, it has no activator.

I will be finishing the bumper with a 2K clear coat (********** Universal Clear).

Should I go with the SEM product or look for something else which is 2K instead?

I am worried this will affect the long term durability of the repair.

Thanks!
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 am
it should be fine, you should only need to use it where there is bare plastic.
I use a lesonal product called "all plastic prime", its single stage out of a rattle can, you only need a very light coat (its clear) over the bare plastic, let it flash off and its good to go!!
krem

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 am
krem wrote:it should be fine, you should only need to use it where there is bare plastic.
I use a lesonal product called "all plastic prime", its single stage out of a rattle can, you only need a very light coat (its clear) over the bare plastic, let it flash off and its good to go!!
krem

It sounds like you are describing adhesion promoter.

The bumper I am repairing is not raw plastic, it had already been painted with a base coat and clear coat.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:56 pm
I have used the SEM stuff once or twice before without issue, but I would recommend going with a real 2K urethane primer or epoxy.

If you are using all 2K (2 component) products, there is very little change of failure. A regular 2K urethane primer is usually OK for most bumper repairs. If you don't have much sanding to do, epoxy is even better.
However, I would recommend using an adhesion promoter over any bare plastic 1st.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 pm
Any 2k primer will work on a plastic bumper. It does not have to be a flexible primer.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic