Thickness of Short Strand filler?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:56 pm
I am making some fiberglass side panels for my bike and need to blend in some scoop that I am shaping. I am concerned about the transition from the curved scoop to the flat panel. I am either going to need to build up the fiberglass in between the two to create a smoother transition, or I was curious about using short strand filler. How thick can short strand filler be applied?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:42 am
Hard to answer this...on a flat panel with no flexing it can probably be put on pretty darn thick. At an interface like that I think unfortunately you are going to be running an experiment. Seems to me there should be a better way to integrate those parts. Darrel may stop by this thread if he sees it, if not PM him...

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:01 am
The panel I am referring to is the side cover on a bagger (Victory Cross Country) so I doubt it would see a ton of flexing. It is mounted with molded plastic push pins into rubber grommets as well. I am thinking that at most it would be 1/4 inch...but most likely even less than that. I could still shave down the foam piece to try to smooth out the transition but I am trying to avoid losing the shape that I have created by thinning it out too much.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 pm
At a 1/4 inch fill you will be fine especially if you've got very little flexing going on. I would do that rather than "shave" a shape and loose a contour. When using stranded style fillers like this I still like to "spread" a layer of finely chopped up mat and resin over the fill feathering out to a larger area. I then feather out over that with a poly putty such as Body Icing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:56 am
DarrelK wrote:At a 1/4 inch fill you will be fine especially if you've got very little flexing going on. I would do that rather than "shave" a shape and loose a contour. When using stranded style fillers like this I still like to "spread" a layer of finely chopped up mat and resin over the fill feathering out to a larger area. I then feather out over that with a poly putty such as Body Icing.

Thank you sir, that takes care of my problem.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic