Can I fiberglass over gelcoat?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:35 am
I am working on a project for my car (1973 Triumph TR6). It's a fiberglass targa top (called a surrey top). It is made out of fiberglass and has a plastic rear window. The piece is over 40 years old and by the time it got to me the window was scratched. I tried to wet sand the scratches (with 1200 to 2000 sandpaper) and use Novus plastic polish (#1, 2, & 3) but I could not get the haze from the sandpaper to come out. I guess the plastic they used in the 60/70's is different than today's lexan.

I was able to purchase a new plastic window but the new window is a little too small. They do not offer any other windows at this time.

The window is glued to the lip of the frame. I purchased 1.5 oz mat and polyester resin to build out the lip about 1/4 inch to provide enough area to glue the new (smaller) window in place. I am layering the fiberglass (starting on the inside) from the bottom up of the frame ..........beyond the existing lip. I have been able to remove most of the gelcoat but because of the shape I can't seem to get all of it without distorting the lines of the frame.

I am assuming the black coating is gelcoat. The fiberglass seems to be adhering to it. The pictures show the frame before I tried to remove the gel coat. Will this be a problem fiber glassing over some gelcoat?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:58 pm
Based on this being an older fiberglas part that was a "finish" quality gel coat which are usually very thick stable surface coatings. Yes, you can easily bond over that as long as it is thoroughly clean (degreased) and you leave a good tooth or profile for adhesion. I would leave about a 100 grit sand scratch on the surface and make do that sanding in multiple directions, blow off the dust, tack rag and you would be good.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic