New to Forum, have primer and a few paint questions

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:32 pm
Well, it sounds like you are going to just kind of attack the area which is pretty tough with silvers like this. You might want to wait for Chris to comment on this again or hit him with a pm but I would say you would need to blend that out further than you might think. I'd make my epoxy thinned down to a sealer thickness (most epoxies have instruction on full strength or reduced as sealer), rebase blending out with my regular gun (remember, switching to a touch-up gun or airbrush is going to lay that metallic down differently), and then re-clear the whole thing. I'm not saying you can't try and kind of "touch-in" the area but I think it will stand out more than what you have now.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:16 am
Sorry I missed this yesterday. Jim, the car looks great, you did a really nice job on that.

Regarding the small imperfection, it's one of those things where you have to decide if you will live with it or if you really want to repair it. There is really no shortcut especially on a silver metallic. It should be treated like any other repair, scuff-paste or wet sand the clear around it to a distance of at least 14" to 18", blow base back over it i.e. lay in a blend -- then reclear. On long-cured clear you really need to prep the entire panel (in this case the entire bumper) and reclear the whole thing.

If you accidentally sand through the existing clear and into the base, then a primer or sealer has to be applied to protect the broken edge of the clear.

On fresh clear you can get away with "burning in" the clear. There are things you can do at the edge of the new clear to melt it into the existing clear, including shooting over-reduced clear over the edge, or using an aerosol clear blending agent.

This is one of those things that it is a great skill to pick up but I'm not sure I'd want my nice BMW that just came out awesome to be the learning platform.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:45 pm
:goodpost: And that's exactly why I wanted Chris back here... good voice of reason and experience talking to you there.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 pm
Chris/Darrel,
Thank again for the info. How long is considered a long cure for the clear?
So far it's been 11 days since I sprayed it.
I do want to fix this as I'm pretty particular about this car, best one I've ever owned, fastest too, it's not stock.
I'm thinking about practicing on a scrap piece and intentionally screwing it up. Then I can try to fix that small area and blend it in. Never blended before either. If it doesn't come out good I'll just do the whole fender over again.
Thanks for the tip on not using a different gun, didn't know it would lay down the metallic different.

Changing gears for a minute, I was reading about some DELTRON DC2000 Ultra Velocity Clear with superfast air-dry capability, suppose to dry in 30 min. Should only be used on small parts, bumpers, etc, not the whole cars.
Any experience with this type of clear?
Sound good, less chance of dust drying on it and not having to wait over night for it to cure.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:32 pm
Jim, your plan sounds fine. 11 days is not too long on clear especially if it has been inside and not exposed to UV sunlight for most of that time.

Any production clear like that is fine for a repair like that or painting a panel or two, sure thing.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:46 pm
OK, sounds good.
My car has been in the garage for 95% of the time.
We've got company coming in a few days that will tie me up until next Monday.
Will report back (probably asking more questions) with my progress.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm
I finally got around to fixing this spot by scuffing up the whole fender with gray scotchbrite then spraying that bad area.
This time I used DC3000 clear instead of DC2010 so I wouldn't have to wait until the next day to bring the fender back from Autobody class. The DC3000 is pretty much tack free in 30 minutes.
It still had some orange peel that I final got around to sanding out and buffing it last week. Still haven't put any polish on it yet.
Gotta thank all of you guys for the help, I'm still learning.
Next project is looking for an M5 rear bumper to replace the stock bumper, that will allow me to add true dual 4 tip exhaust.

Last edited by JimLev on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:43 pm
Jim, looks fantastic - congrats on closing the loop on that. Nice car :-)
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic