Painting techniques...

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:53 pm
I've been on and off this forum over the years and always get good advice. My ability is pretty good and have done about a dozen cars over the years. The last one just a few years ago and it came out great. Someone sold me on using an LVLP gun and it has suited me very well. I use PPG and Omni products.

So this time it's a fiberglass car and
1))) I have the doors, hood, trunk lid, gas door and a few grille pieces off the car. They've been worked over and final primed. What is the majority sentiment on painting them, either hanging by wire or to place them on stands.

2))) the roof. I have plenty lateral room, but can't get positioned well enough over the car to control the gun adequately. There is an 18" high scaffold to can stand on, but with nothing to anchor myself against, the outcome, even with the primer was poor. If the edges are tack coated first, then they may be damaged if I have to lean in and do that long run in the center of the roof. What kind of technique do you suggest?

thx

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:28 am
1. Personal preference; if hanging them just make sure they are secured at the bottom as well -- I've seen guys just hang parts then proceed to blow the parts all around with the spray gun. Not good.

2. This one is going to be "whatever it takes"...maybe a couple of short saw-horse type supports with a 3' wide set of planking across. Just be safe whatever you do (I know this is not brilliant help but it's one of those things you just need to set something up you are comfortable sanding on)...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:42 am
Well, I can only give you a strange tip on your #2 concern there. I am a wood restoration guy so we have to work on-site on some strange things as well as wood walls, overhead trim, etc. If I have to "extend" myself over something I've found that if I am on a wood surface I can just cut up an old wide leather belt into a couple of 8 or 9 inch straps. I put my feet down on the wood skid, saw horse stand, whatever. I practice where my reach is "going" then mark around my feet patterns. I screw down one side of each belt beside each foot pattern, put my foot down, then screw down the other side. You would be surprised how holding your feet firm like this extends your "safe reach." I've seen this done in industrial finishing even using old shoes that were screwed down to a board, then the board moved and bolted down to various fixtures. Every little bit helps when you've got to reach.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:45 pm
Thanks for all your replies. Yes, it's a real problem. Fortunately, the primer is still being layed on and the rough spots can be sanded off, but late this week or soon after the color has to go on. My thoughts are leaning toward taking the wheels off the car and setting it down on low A-frame supports. Of course doing this will limit my access to the rocker panels, but they can be pretty'd up later.. I'll report on the outcome..

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:43 am
You've got the right idea, whatever it takes. I've done as little as airing down my tires which changed my angle and extended my reach.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic