Painting Toyota bumper cover with 4Q2 color

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:27 pm
I just placed an order for a new Tekna copper with the 7e7 air capfrom this site . I intend to paint my daughters Toyota Camry with color code 4Q2 paint. I need some advise on what materials i need and the procedure. I am an auto tech with over 40 years in the auto motive mechanical service. Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 pm
Thanks for the order - I just boxed it up and it is ready to go out tomorrow morning :-)

It's a great gun to start out with.

On the Toyota, it would help us out if you could give a little more info - like what kind of shape is the car right now; are you doing body work on it, is the clear coat on there now in good shape or is it failing, etc. Has it ever been painted before?

Answers could range from the car needs to be stripped, to just sand the existing clear, seal it and shoot the color then clear.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm
chris wrote:Thanks for the order - I just boxed it up and it is ready to go out tomorrow morning :-)

It's a great gun to start out with.

On the Toyota, it would help us out if you could give a little more info - like what kind of shape is the car right now; are you doing body work on it, is the clear coat on there now in good shape or is it failing, etc. Has it ever been painted before?

Answers could range from the car needs to be stripped, to just sand the existing clear, seal it and shoot the color then clear.

The car is in good shape the clear cote is good not flaking, she backed up and bumped into something it had a ding in it which i could easily straighten it. The car was never painted before it is the original paint.

I bought a spray paint can and it does not match i have to do this job so she does not get into trouble with her husband not that he is going to be abusive but she wants it done before he notices the color miss match. Toyota 4Q2 is the color code the paint supplier told me it has to painted with a spray gun.The rear bumper cover needs painting.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 pm
I tend to refer to this post I made awhile ago in a similar situation:

viewtopic.php?p=129270#p129270

You are going to be hoping for a butt-match on that bumper to the rest of the car so you will want to make sure the paint jobber looks at variants on that color. You might want to bring the gas cap from the car, if possible.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic