need advice on this bumper repar...Beginner here

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:38 pm
Short story made shorter lol, i hit a deer a few weeks back and now i'm out to repair the damage myself. This question here is about the bumper i picked up. I bought it from a guy who does auto body and he repaired a few cracks and patched a couple license plate holes that were in there. Now my question is, is do i just scuff the paint and sand the adhesive smooth them paint, or do I take it all the way down to the plastic and redo the whole thing? If anyone could give a the steps i need to take to paint this i would appreciate it :neutral: Thanks guys!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:59 pm
You will certainly need to sand the repaired areas smooth and prime those. As for the rest of the bar, if the paint is sound (no chips,. scratches or cracks) then edges can be feathered then primed and the surface scuffed and painted. Otherwise sand back to smooth (no need to go all the way to bare plastic), prime, sand and paint.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm
NFT5 wrote:You will certainly need to sand the repaired areas smooth and prime those. As for the rest of the bar, if the paint is sound (no chips,. scratches or cracks) then edges can be feathered then primed and the surface scuffed and painted. Otherwise sand back to smooth (no need to go all the way to bare plastic), prime, sand and paint.

When you say feather the edges, do you mean all the edges of the bumper?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:38 pm
No, feather the edges of any existing paint that is staying on the bar. Then prime where you have broken through the existing paint surface, extending on to the existing paint a bit. By feathering the edges you won't see them later, or have a step.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:38 pm
wow ok yeah dumb question after i think about it lol. will primer stick to the paint where i have to blend it in and the paint surrounding the repairs, or will it flake off after a while?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:14 am
So long as the surface is properly sanded and/or scuffed and is properly clean then the primer will stick just fine.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:46 am
I take it you don't have full coverage insurance?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:18 am
ok thanks! and no I don't have full coverage, it was way to high per month. I have to pay out of pocket to fix it now but oh well I guess lol live and learn

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic