Adding on to a fiberglass hood?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm
I have an aftermarket Shelby hood that is the better part of a 1/4" too narrow, why they can't get that right is beyond me :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how to go about this, I don't have any fiberglass experience at all. I know you add mat and resin and the gel coat needs a good sanding and feathering for adhesion but how do I build out that far? I don't want any extra height to the hood for sure.

Rob

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm
Pretty big gap... But with a lot of gaps I put foam edge tape under the gaps as iff you were masking before paint.. This will keep filler from falling into your gaps.. Then spread glass filler over the gaps make sure you smooth it out nicely and have enough glass filler on both side of gap for feathering.. Then half way through the drying time take a razor blade and cut a line between the gap. You should be able to peel of the line. Once it semi hardens you can start sanding and take a block I.e paint stick measure it to the gap size you want and put sand paper over it and sand your gap

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm
Littlevil wrote:Pretty big gap... But with a lot of gaps I put foam edge tape under the gaps as iff you were masking before paint.. This will keep filler from falling into your gaps.. Then spread glass filler over the gaps make sure you smooth it out nicely and have enough glass filler on both side of gap for feathering.. Then half way through the drying time take a razor blade and cut a line between the gap. You should be able to peel of the line. Once it semi hardens you can start sanding and take a block I.e paint stick measure it to the gap size you want and put sand paper over it and sand your gap

Gap looks bigger in the pic than it really is, I need to add a healthy 3/16" to leave a 1/8 gap. I can't imagine just adding filler to it, that would break off pretty quick it if got bumped. I figure it has to have some mat and resin to make sure it stays attached? With steel I would weld metal to it but this is a different animal than I am used to working with.
Rob

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:09 pm
Yeah, I agree, filler just not enough on a hood or any panel that moves for that matter. I do indeed "wrap" with mat and resin "after" I've filled out. In our fiberglas parts world that's a pretty common gap you've got there. Here's a link to the same problem on the whole darn car here...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7938&p=48940&hilit=Darrelk+fiberglass+kit+build#p48940

You can see I build out with Duraglas, then I do finely chopped up mat and resin to wrap and build out for more strength. I've never had a hood, door, or deck lid break or even "ghost" a line when done that way.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:03 pm
Thanks Darrell, I can't open the link? Sounds like exactly what I want to see. What is the name of the thread, I can always search if the link won't work.

Cheers
Rob

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:14 pm
Yeah, let me try that link thing again.... try this.....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7938&p=48940&hilit=Darrelk+fiberglass+kit+build#p48940

Trust me, once you see it the process makes sense. The underlying greenish stuff is the Duraglas and then that is overlayed with resin ( I use throwaway brushes 2 to 4 inch wides) and the mat is "pulled" apart and chopped up finer with scissors. I like to do a couple of thin layers that way, then do a Body Icing and feather that out farther. You end up with a very solid edge that still finishes out nicely.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:54 am
Thanks Darrel, it worked that time. Should be a good read :goodjob:

The challenge in this will be building onto a relatively sharp edge
Rob

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic