Recommendations for Interrior panels

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:00 pm
I am doing a complete restoration on the interior of my 1967 Mustang fastback. The fiberglass interior panels appeared to have been previously painted with a lacquer paint. The panels have an engraved leather pattern grain which I want to maintain.

I just used a jell paint stripper to remove the paint so I'm now figuring where to go from here. It looks like I may have to wash the panels with lacquer thinner to get the remainder of the paint off that the stripper didn't get.

I'm not going to rattle can there but will have the paint ship mix me up a quart so I can shoot it with my Sata.

Can anyone give me pointers on surface prep, adhesion, and paint type.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas. I know Uncle Sam likes the Happy Holiday instead but my uncle has changed over the last 8 years so I don't heed to him any longer. I'm pretty sure he's been drinking a lot.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 pm
Hi, John, and welcome.... Okay, I am not much of a Ford guy but one of my best friends both in high school and college owned one of these cars so I do remember them.... my question to you is, are you sure those are fiberglas? Some of that early "thinnish" plastic was pressure molded ABS as there wasn't experience with doing open layups with those complicated shapes in production. You should see fibered mat with some cloth reinforcement on the back of the parts. If they are "smooth" they were some type of pressure molded plastic.
Fiberglas is easy.... just make sure its' settled down and firm before doing anything, then epoxy seal, and probably shoot with single stage urethane color of choice. If you are finding that too "glossy" for your application just shoot a coat of flattened clear urethane over it.
If it does turn out to be ABS or other plastic you would probably need to use an adhesion promoter, then do as indicated above with the other finish schedule.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic