Bondo on ABS or something else???

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:44 am
I have a set of ABS motorcycle saddlebags that I'm putting on my bike. They are a little scratched up and I've had to notch them to fit around my shocks. I've never done body work on ABS before and trying to find out the best stuff to use for body filler. Can I use bondo or is there something else that is better for ABS?

Trying to get them prepped to paint here very soon. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:04 am
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ler&_frs=1

you need a filler for plastic
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:23 pm
ABS is definitely one of the tougher plastics as far as stuff sticking to it.... There are a lot of different ways to handle it.... do some reading over here.... www.urethanesupply.com

When you get over there, first make sure and use there "Identify" section to make sure you have ABS. Once you've done that look at the "how to" section on repairing each type of plastic. Most ABS can be plastic welded with that type of ABS rod. It also responds well to most high quality epoxies.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:04 pm
When referring to damage, it depends on what you mean when describing scratches and other areas needing repair. Products for ABS repair are available at your local jobber, which is where professionals purchase products. SEM for one, offers ABS repair products, so do others. Not a big deal. If scratches are not that bad, you may not even need a specialty product.

Bondo is a brand, a low quality one at that. Body filler is the better term.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic