Questions about painting plastic

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:43 pm
on those flexible bumper parts if down to raw plastic p180 then adhesion promoter and epoxy primer. Reduce it with a shot glass worth of reducer in your paint gun cup...try to get it to lay out with no texture then after it dries enough go right to color and clear.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:05 pm
The problem was solved with the chrome. As I was sanding the chrome with my DA and 240 grit, I sanded through an edge and the chrome popped up. It peeled off pretty easily. Did the same with the other. I left the chrome on the back edge, hand sanded it, then primed it (and only it) with self-etch primer. The second one was a little harder to peel. The chrome came off in smaller strips.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:17 pm
I'm doing an experiment here. I chopped up some fiberglass cloth and made my own fiber reinforced glazing compound. I roughed up a test spot with 80 grit, sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter, and applied the glazing compound. After hardening, I was able to feather out the edges, so I decided to run with it.

I did the same procedure on the actual cuts on the inside of the valance, then did the outside.

It seemed to be adhering fine. I was able to feather it out nicely.

Again, if this falls off or cracks, it's not a big deal. I was going to order new valances eventually, so if it works, great. Saved some dough.

I touched up the sander mark on the top valance the same way.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:32 pm
chris wrote:on those flexible bumper parts if down to raw plastic p180 then adhesion promoter and epoxy primer. Reduce it with a shot glass worth of reducer in your paint gun cup...try to get it to lay out with no texture then after it dries enough go right to color and clear.

Just now noticed your post. I sprayed the repaired areas with black epoxy, but didn't do epoxy on all of it. I just scrubbed it with degreaser and a red Scotchbrite pad and used Bulldog adhesion promoter prior to base coat, based on ChevyC10's advice.

They're bolted to a chrome steel bumper, so hopefully, they won't be doing much flexing.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:56 pm
Looks good and you will be fine. Good going on those mirrors. :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:50 pm
Everything turned out nicely. I'm very pleased with how it all looks.

Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic