Cut hole, fill, mold to shape in ABS motorcycle fairing

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

Germany
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:03 pm
skullsession wrote:There it is. Lower fairings won't be done till later this week, but they won't even go on the bike till cooler weather. So, for all intents and purposes, this puppy is done....minus a few spots he still needs to detail with 2,000 grit and a buffer.

RIGHT.JPG
LEFT.JPG
REAR.JPG

This was a crazy learning project for me. A giant, months-long mess of "what the heck am I doing" followed by a whirlwind of get-er-done in the last week.

DarrelK - thanks for your very valuable input. And Chris...I'm glad I found this forum. Some fantastic reading and advice here.

The next one that I actually paint will by my own. Then, I retire.

wow! looks greate!

Non-Lurker

Germany
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:25 pm
skullsession wrote:Good advice, Chris. Unfortunately, that dang "08190 Performance Manual Applicator" required to push out the product is freakin' $53. I don't suppose you could recommend something that doesn't require much more than squeezing the epoxy out on a board and using spreader to mix it up?

Would JB weld or somebody like that make something that would make sense...or is that just absurd?

Interesting thread here, guys!
I can also share my experiense with ABS repair: https://yadi.sk/d/QFRGe690jNhJf

Non-Lurker

Germany
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm
skullsession wrote:
IMG_3795.JPG

I dusted the hole with the PlastiFix powder...
IMG_3796.JPG

Then, as instructed....layered it till I got the level I was looking for.
IMG_3797.JPG

Then.....flipped it over, took off the aluminum tape, and applied more to the back side.
IMG_3800.JPG

Is this repair still hold up?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 pm
So far, yes. No problems. But it has only been about two months since I did the second fairing, and this bike hasn't seen a lot of road time.

Non-Lurker

Germany
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:14 am
skullsession wrote:So far, yes. No problems. But it has only been about two months since I did the second fairing, and this bike hasn't seen a lot of road time.

I see, asking because i cannot tell you how often I saw such repairs (on a bumpers) after few months, of course all depend how often this car drive, what clima and season, but very often after first winter it is looking like this:
Attachments
grid5.jpg
grid2.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:54 pm
Double post.
Last edited by BeoBob on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:52 am
Hey Skull...

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I read the whole thing and learned a lot. I also have a victory and love it. I recently had a big $$$ custom paint job done. The painter did not have the lifting problems you did, but made plenty of other mistakes. The whole ordeal got me interested in painting myself.

I did the helmet in the pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic