Cut hole, fill, mold to shape in ABS motorcycle fairing

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:11 pm
In these photos, I need to remove the triangular(ish) protrusions at the lower portion of the fairing. These are mounting points for turn signals, but we're wanting to cut out, fill and shape to match the curvature of the portion below the headlight hole....later we will be relocating turn signals to another portion of the fairing.

This is ABS.

Obviously, cutting them out is the easy part. I'd like some help in understanding the products necessary to fill. Painting and all that can be a whole other discussion if necessary.

Any discussion or advice is greatly appreciated, as I haven't done paint or bodywork for about 25 years. For about 3 years I worked in a fiberglass manufacturing plant where we molded and repaired fiberglass body parts for golf carts, Herse's (yes...the cars that carry dead people), and parts for big trucks. Obviously, fiberglass is not ABS...and I'm WAY out of practice and ignorant to the chemistry and techniques to get this right.

Here's a shot of the inner side of that section of the fairing.

Also, here is a corner of the fairing where I'll have to add on a small...maybe 1/2" section to match the other side...this apparently got ground off when bike was dropped.

Here's the opposite side of the fairing, where the corner is good, but scratched...will have to be filled. I'm only showing this one to try to explain what the other side needs to look like.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 pm
I had one last year almost the same thing on the road rash repair. I used an older 3M product; I believe the replacement is this:

http://3mcollision.com/products/plastic ... 34240.html

I formed the ground-off tips of the fairing, filled scratches, etc. Sands really well and no shrink that I could detect. Primer then paint.

On the ABS holes, I'd find an ABS donor to make a patch then either plastic weld and/or use that same epoxy.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:02 pm
Good advice, Chris. Unfortunately, that dang "08190 Performance Manual Applicator" required to push out the product is freakin' $53. I don't suppose you could recommend something that doesn't require much more than squeezing the epoxy out on a board and using spreader to mix it up?

Would JB weld or somebody like that make something that would make sense...or is that just absurd?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 pm
I wouldn't use JB weld.

Give 3M a call - their tech support number is on that website someplace. They are good to talk to over the phone and they probably have a smaller/simpler kit of that epoxy that doesn't require the gun. Worth a shot, at least.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:11 pm
Cool. Thanks.

Just as an FYI...I read somewhere today that another guy bought an ABS clipboard and whacked it up to weld into holes. I thought that was a brilliant idea!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:03 pm
IMG_3783.JPG

I whacked out the turn signal nub with a die grinder.
IMG_3784.JPG

Sanded back the paint with 330 grit on a DA and roughed up the edge a little with die grinder.
IMG_3790.JPG

I purchased some of that PlastiFix stuff and used some drywall fiberglass tape to strengthen the replacement material, as suggested by the Urethane Supply video.
IMG_3791.JPG

Backed that with aluminum tape.
IMG_3792.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:07 pm
IMG_3795.JPG

I dusted the hole with the PlastiFix powder...
IMG_3796.JPG

Then, as instructed....layered it till I got the level I was looking for.
IMG_3797.JPG

Then.....flipped it over, took off the aluminum tape, and applied more to the back side.
IMG_3800.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:12 pm
This week, I'd like to start the body filler and sanding stage. Suggestions....advice?

Particularly, I'd like to know what brand/type filler you'd suggest. And maybe...sanding steps leading up to primer.

Since I'll have some bare ABS spots on this fairing when it's time to prime/paint....anything specific I need to know?

Thanks again!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:35 am
I went to an auto body supply. They steered me toward this filler. Hoping it's all good.
IMG_3809.JPG

I sanded down the plastic filler with 60 grit because that's what I had on hand. Then applied filler.
IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:37 pm
I'm just gonna keep on rockin' till someone tells me to shut up or tells me I'm doing it wrong.....
IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

Here's a nice shot of the trail of tears from when the die grinder got away from me.
IMG_3812.JPG

Question....should I be taking this entire fairing down to ABS, or can I get away with roughing up the parts where I don't have body work to do?
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic