newbie garage spraying help very basic qeustions

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:11 pm
so im completely new to all of this and bought my self a 50l compressor small starter kit with it.. it had a basic gun with it so as im currently repairing my motorbike fairings for racing I thought I wont use spray can no more as the finish is a lot better with a spray gun... so I bought a load of paint from my local and he gave me a load of stuff 2k black base coat yellow activator/hardener? thinner and 1k primer

so after my first time using the primer 1k I mixed that 100ml primer and 100ml activator but it is clear I thought primer was normally white or grey? have I done something wrong?

then I did the 2k black 100ml black 50ml hardener 25ml thinner I sprayed that on must of it come out really nice !! but some bits the paint separated it self ? so I let it dried thought hmmm maybe I did not clean it properly so I sanded the area cleaned it and sprayed again and it happened again on the same spot??

now after doing abit of a read I seen that 2k can be very harmful sp garage spray is a no no !!! what can I use in the garage what mixing ratios would I use etc

and what is the correct primers??

sorry for going on an on hahaha hope some of you guys can point me in the right direction

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 pm
Not sure of the terminology on that side of the pond but 2k means two components. For example, you are mixing a catalyst (hardener, activator) with your primer.

You say your primer is 1k but then you describe mixing it 1:1 with activator so I am confused as to what products you are actually using.

If you are painting plastic and you have spots where raw plastic is showing you will need to apply an adhesion promoter like Bulldog.

I like to use epoxy primer on plastic pieces because it has some flexibility to it.

Cover with 2k primer and block sand. Repeat until satisfied then wet sand with p600 prior to paint.

Generally you do not want to mix 1k (needs no activator) with 2k products. Since the 1k isn't catalyzed the solvent from the next coat can dissolve it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:25 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Not sure of the terminology on that side of the pond but 2k means two components. For example, you are mixing a catalyst (hardener, activator) with your primer.

You say your primer is 1k but then you describe mixing it 1:1 with activator so I am confused as to what products you are actually using.

If you are painting plastic and you have spots where raw plastic is showing you will need to apply an adhesion promoter like Bulldog.

I like to use epoxy primer on plastic pieces because it has some flexibility to it.

Cover with 2k primer and block sand. Repeat until satisfied then wet sand with p600 prior to paint.

Generally you do not want to mix 1k (needs no activator) with 2k products. Since the 1k isn't catalyzed the solvent from the next coat can dissolve it.

oppppsss so 1 k paints im not ment to add activator or thinners spray straight on?

thanks for you help buddy :)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:32 am
You should be able to get tech sheets for each of your products online. They will give you detailed information on how to prep, mix and apply your products.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic