Damaged front lip - where do I even start?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:58 am
http://imgur.com/LuKf1OL

I've been told repairing the damage is doable if using fibreglass. Any insight on how I can go about fixing this thing? How the heck do I rebuild a missing piece? I've watched tutorials on YouTube and they're able to repair cracks, but how I fix this?!
Last edited by JKMJKM on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:08 pm
Your picture is not posting, at least from what I see... It's probably a lot worse to you than to us.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:09 am
Fixed the image issue!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 am
First, things...... Are you sure that part is fiberglass? If it is it would be a matter of sanding back the surface (100 grit would probably do it) to inspect the cracking. You would then need to "V" out the cracks some with a Dremel tool. You might want to drill a small 1/8 inch hole at the end of the crack as a "stop." I'd then build up some resin and chopped up mat from the inside to stabilize the cracking. Once that is done it looks like you could just take some aluminum HVAC tape and shape across from the inside of the missing area. That would allow you to start building up resin and chopped up mat from the outside or you could more simply use some stranded filler like USC's Duraglas to get the rough shape esablished, shaping that up, then still use chopped up mat and fiberglass over that covering the entire area of damage. You would sand that up level, then feather out over that with something like a poly putty ( I like USC's Body Icing). Seal it up with epoxy, and you are into a regular base clear system.
IF that nose is something other than fiberglass look for an identifying mark on the underneath that will tell us what it is..... It's important because what I have told you will only work with a fiberglass system.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 am
No, you didn't. But here it is:

That is a fairly easy fix but you'll need some bumper repair compound, it's unlikely to be fibreglass. I use a product by Teroson - very good. Use some fine mesh to support the bridge and build it back up across the hole. Sand it back to final shape and smooth, then paint.
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 am
Thank you both for the response! I posted this image elsewhere and someone suggested the fibreglass method. I know the lip is definitely not fibreglass. Using the Teroson kit, would I have to do anything to reinforce the backside of the repair?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm
If you know that lip is NOT fiberglass you should try to identify what it is so you can choose the right repair material. If you are having trouble figuring that out go here...
www.urethanesupply.com
Over on the left side they have tips on identifying plus showing what different methods are available for the repair.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic