Repainting KJ Verada Rear Chrome boot garnish

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm
Hi all

New member here from Australia

I am currently in the process of doing a whole car respray for the very first time

The car I am doing is called a Mitsubishi Verada GTV.....in the states they are known as Diamante

I am looking at respraying a part attached to the boot (trunk) lid, see attached photo

I am looking to paint the grey inner area the same colour as the car (Mawson White)

The part in question is made of ABS plastic, which has been coated grey, doubt it would be powder coated as the plastic would melt in the oven wouldnt it?

Anyhow, I have no problems with the colour or clear coat, my question is what should I be using as a primer?

I do have a plastic adhesion primer here in a rattle can, would this be sufficient do you think?, or would even regular primer surfacer be sufficieng?

Anybody have any advice that could be of assistance?

Cheers
Attachments
20150331_192820.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 pm
Adhesion promoter is really only needed on bare plastic so you should not need it. I'd just scuff it up good and go with your regular primer.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48 pm
I'd clean it good hit it with adhesion promoter and paint it.
It looks textured so if you want it slick smooth. You'll have to prime. Then sand smooth and paint.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic