First paint job....

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm
SUCCESS!!!!! All parts cam out looking great....can't even see the repairs. That foam tape is some good stuff. After thinking on it all night I went out this morning and removed all the hard tape around the window and used the foam....came out great with a nice soft edge to blend on the back corners of the car. I will let it sit till Monday then gingerly wet sand it out......Thank you so much for the instructions.
DSC_0622 (Small).JPG
DSC_0621 (Small).JPG
DSC_0620 (Small).JPG
Give a man a brush, and he will paint a Picasso.
Give a man a spray gun, and the wife better hide the car.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:14 pm
I almost had a heart attack....I posted the pics and said what the hell are all those stripes!!!! I did not see them when out in the garage!!!! Then I realized....those are the reflection of the rafters in the garage...LOL

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm
glad to hear it worked out for you. Make sure you have enough clear on there, looks like you have some orange peel to sand out.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:24 pm
Orange peel...the saga of my life right now. Yeah...I got to do some sanding but I put 3 real thick wet coats of clear on...think I will be OK if I just use a little common sense. I am going to stay away from that back window and fins a bit though....a little peel I can deal with better than a sand thru. Thank you again.... :clap:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:35 pm
Yeah, you should be okay from here out.... Ha, ha,.... still laughing about the rafter thing.... Had a wing I built using holographic flake, cut and buffed to perfection... took some pic.s didn't notice the stark tree branches wayyyy overhead... freaked out just like when I saw the pic.s
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:45 pm
I have not forsaken the forum....been putting this thing back together...what a PIA!!! Took me a complete day to reassemble the headlights....another to put the windows in. Finally got it all together and will dump 5 gallon of gas in it tomorrow to bring out of the garage and to the back where I can roll it into the sun then back in the shade to buff the back end out. I think I will have to do some more buffing on the front...just can not see right in the garage. You were right...buffing this thing out is harder than painting it. The doors are perfect because I spent a lot of time on them and did them outside where I can see. Hopefully will be able to post some pics tomorrow.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:09 pm
Not surprised.... we've all been kind of shocked you are moving as fast as you are with things... Yeah, sunlight shows everything.... Just remember, the cut and buff can usually be "refined" even months or years later. The coatings do become harder but many are still quite workable. This winter I'll be micro-detailing my Bremen kit car which I shot back in 1992. The PPG 2021 clear on it is some hard clear but does still respond to compounding and buffing.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:02 am
I guess the speed of my project does seem a bit fast to others but to me seems to have been a long process. One thing I have been blessed with is free time which I should probably explain. I have been a registered nurse for the past 22 years. Got into the profession at a time when there was a severe shortage of nurses in my part of the country which allowed me to kind of name my own schedule. 10 years ago I hooked up with a company that owns nursing and rehab facilities and took a job as a manager of one of their 175 bed facilities on the weekends. I work 16 hours both Sat. and Sun., for doing every w/e they kick in 8 hours and all the benefits as a bonus thus making it full time and giving me Mon.-Fri. off. I hope this gig lasts another 10 years till I retire. Since I do my job well enough that the administration can take their weekends off with no worries I think I am pretty secure. I began this project on the 15th of April and hammer on it every day for about 8 hours a day with a few weeks off here and there for vacation at the beach. This car has taken a big bite out of what would normally be my fishing time but I want to get it done and enjoy it a little before the end of the summer. To be honest with you I am getting a little tired of working on it but need to see it threw doing it right because I sure don't want to redo it again. I am always into some type of project. Last winter I gutted the entire inside of my home and remodeled it over 6 months. I have this need to feel productive and do not know what my next project will be but as I start to grow older I can feel myself slowing down a bit. I have really enjoyed this car project and am starting to think about what I will do when I retire. I would like to keep refinishing cars, at a slower pace, but would have to have a shop that is a bit bigger than the two car garage I am in now and allow me to work in comfort in the winter. I do have a 40x60 foot cinder block two story building that currently is not in use other than a place to store my boats. The upper floor of it is big enough to allow me to build a better contained paint booth complete with heat and ventilation with plenty of room. Another project that I have been considering if I indeed choose to pursue this as a hobby. The building is big enough to allow me to do all the dirty work on the first floor and paint on the second while performing off frame restorations. Got to think on that one for a while. After I am done the vette my plan for the rest of the year is just to chase the fish around and play my guitar but for now.....back to buffing LOL.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:34 pm
Well still got some buffing to do but got it back together enough to take to the gas station and get some ice cream tonight. Did not turn out bad.....gathered a crowd at the gas station. Now I will slow down a bit and do some refining.
DSC_0624 (Small).JPG
DSC_0626 (Small).JPG
DSC_0627 (Small).JPG
DSC_0630 (Small).JPG
DSC_0631 (Small).JPG

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:40 pm
I want to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your guidance in this project. I learned so much and in the end have a car I can be proud of. When I began I had no idea where to turn or what I was doing.....I logged onto this forum on chance and glad I did. All the input that you gave me was correct and unbiased. I could have asked for no better instruction and for that I again say THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :bighug:
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic