First paint job....

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:30 pm
The rear...
Attachments
DSC_0368 (Small).JPG
Give a man a brush, and he will paint a Picasso.
Give a man a spray gun, and the wife better hide the car.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 pm
Man, I sure like the "old school" wide meats. You did the right thing getting them early like this for fitment. I can't tell you how many guys I see at cruise-ins where you pull up behind them and the tires/rear is just not even at all. Keep the pic.s coming....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 am
OK....Here is where I can use some help!!!! Never used fiberglass before. I got the flares placed with the wheels on...really need the wheels first to do it right. Yanked the wheels off and cut the old flares out leaving enough lip to fiberglass from underneath. I roughed both surfaces up with 40 grit to give the glass something to bite into, spread a layer of Tigerhair along the seam line and riveted the flare into place.
Let me tell you about that Tigerhair.....that is some nasty s%&t!!! There is no brushing it on, there is no spreading it on, all I could do was take a handful and smear!!! No doubt it is some good stuff, after it hardened the flares seem like they are welded on. The pics at the bottom are of the first "smear" layer. I put a layer of Tigerhair, then 2 1/2 inch of fiberglass mat, then another layer of hair. I sanded it down (no easy task) and put on another layer. This time I tried to smooth it out a little with a brush.....slightly better results. Sanded it down and got it within 1/8th inch into shape but have "potholes" on the glass. They are not very deep, maybe 1/16th inch. Should I be worried about these since I will be covering it with the Rage Ultra? They say the Ultra can be put on up to 1/4 inch deep. I am kinda scared to put a third coat on since I believe it will yield the same results.
Attachments
DSC_0370 (Small).JPG
DSC_0369 (Small).JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:21 pm
Yeah, I've never much cared for the Tigerhair because of what you ran into... I use Duraglas which, just my opinion, gives you more time to cream out and spread evenly. It also shapes up a little easier. The Rage will easily cover the problem you are having.... just make sure to spread it out over a larger area so you can really feather it out well past your Tigerhair.
Hey, I almost forgot... look at my body work on this kit on the front page... might make you feel a little bit better....
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7938&hilit=Darrelk+fiberglass+kit+build
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm
WELL.....that's a bit better....the more I worked with that Tigerhair the better I got. After multiple layers and sanding with 40 grit I used an 18 inch piece of radiator hose to shape it. Put about 1/4 inch of Rage Ultra over top and sanded my bells off. That radiator hose is the perfect tool for a car that has not one panel without a curve.....LOVE IT!!!! In the end I feathered it out wide and got a great shape. The other side is about 75% done and hope to finish the flares by the end of the week......then go fishing.
Attachments
DSC_0382 (Small).JPG
DSC_0381 (Small).jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 pm
Yeah, now you're cooking.... you'll be glad you feathered out to a larger area like that. Looks good... keep flipping us pics.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:05 pm
Finally got the other flare finished and am happy with the results. Now onto the next phase of preparing for the primer coat. I have decided to go with House of Kolor products and will be using the KD3000 high build grey primer/sealer. I will apply a bit thicker where I have the Rage to prevent bleed threw. I plan to sand the whole car with 80 grit then 150 before the shoot.
DSC_0388 (Small).JPG
DSC_0394 (Small).JPG
DSC_0395 (Small).JPG

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:12 pm
Time to start thinking about color. Since it is hard to visualize what the car will look like from a paint chip I decided to spend the $80 for House of Kolor's Digital Paint Booth....a great little tool. After the wife and I spent hours reviewing colors we finally decided on a kandy wild cherry. Below is a computer generated pic of what I will be shooting for. A bit fuzzy but because of resizing....not the program.
GetAttachment (Small).jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:16 am
Nice. I prefer brighter colors on a vette.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:59 pm
Well, sanding my azz off with 180 grit, fixing what needs to be fixed along the way. Started on the front and after 13 hours am back to the doors. Have some concerns though. While sanding I have some places where the previous body shop apparently hit the car with 40 grit or that is what it appears to be to me. My question: how much does high build primer hide? Since I did not see this before the car was stripped I take it the primer will take care of this? If I attempted to sand that out I would have to sand half the fender away.
DSC_0398 (Small).JPG
DSC_0400 (Small).JPG
DSC_0399 (Small).JPG
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic