Tips for repaint of bumper needed

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:10 am
Hi guys

Im in the process of prepping a rear plastic bumper, that is already painted but is in very average condition with a few minor dents but lots of nicks and scratches that go down into the plastic

What I have done so far is simply rub back the bar, and feathered out the paint in all the nicks and stuff

This has resulted in the paint feathering out nicely, but there is paint remaining in these nicks......do I need to grind this paint out with something before using bumper filler?

Also, as a result of feathering I have exposed more black from the bumper.....will I need to spot paint these areas with plastic ahesive spray, and if I do need to, will the plastic adhesive that gets on the existing colour cause any issues?

I have one new raw plastic bar, and one painted, I have plastic adhesive spray already for the new bar, after I apply the adhesive spray, do I still need to use primer surfacer?, I imagine so

Can primer filler be used on plastic bumpers to help take care of the nicks?

Can bumper polyester putty be applied really thin like normal spot putty?

Theres more questions, but ill start with these

Cheers

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:12 am
Hello?......anybody got some advice

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:58 pm
If you want anything to stick properly yes take off old paint as best as possible.

Will you need to spray plastic adhesion on the black spots, to me depends on how big those spots are but would it hurt ? No. Can you spray it over existing color? Yes.

On your new raw bumper. YES use sealer after using your plastic adhesion spray.

Can primer filler be used to cover nicks? Uhh on very fine nicks yes but if there that fine I would just sand them out and not just try to cover it with primer..

Can polyester filler be used as spot putty? Yes.

Hopefully I answered all your questions if not let me know.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:14 am
Perfect response....thankyou for the clarification

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:18 am
Actually, after re reading my post, I realised I wasnt very clear on what i was asking

My local paint shop says that I dont really need to use plastic primer filler and plastic primer, as long as the plastic adhesion paint is put on it will be fine

I am being told by another lot that yes, I must use the plastic primers

I dont know who to believe, person A or person B

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 am
The only difference in "plastic" primer/filler is that it has a flex additive, being that plastic bumpers tend to flex and you'd want something that moves around with it. That being said do I use flex additive in every **** bumper I spray? No. I've yet to see a finish fail on a bumper because I didn't use a flex additive.

Use it if you want the best of the best I guess ?

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm
Na, I only want to fork out the extra cash if I NEED to....why spend more than nessesarh

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic