Old Plastic prep and paint?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 am
Howdy I have read a lot on here about Fiberglass and bumpers. Well I think I have a different question. I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and I want to black it out. They have plastic pieces on the back of the mirrors that are painted a sliver color along with the bumper wings. These are the parts I want to paint a matte black. I plan on taken the parts off cleaning them with dawn to get the wax off and dirt our of them. Next I will need to prep them. This is where my questions start. I see if metal is already painted and in good shape sand with around 320 grit then epoxy primer then BC/CC.

I was going to use a one step paint from Summit.
My plan is to sand to 320 or just with 320?

fix any scratches dents etc what do I use for hard plastic?

adhesion promoter, then expoy and paint.

Am I missing any steps?

Thanks
Mike

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:07 am
Nope, plan is fairly okay, just use the 320, no other refinements in grades/steps needed. As for repairing/filling you should first identify your plastic and then go with recommended materials. Best thing to do is go here.... www.urethanesupply.com
Over on the left hit the "How To" button and you'll see a drop down menu to help you identify the plastic and the recommended materials should be there too.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:36 am
DarrelK wrote:Nope, plan is fairly okay, just use the 320, no other refinements in grades/steps needed. As for repairing/filling you should first identify your plastic and then go with recommended materials. Best thing to do is go here.... http://www.urethanesupply.com
Over on the left hit the "How To" button and you'll see a drop down menu to help you identify the plastic and the recommended materials should be there too.

Thanks I will go there and see what I can figure out.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic