prepping bare plastic mudflap for paint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:24 pm
They just don't want the AP laid on heavy...so yes a fine, light coat is all that is needed.

AP is only needed on raw plastic, not on top of the epoxy. And yes,if out of the recoat window you should sand the epoxy with p600 before the next step. Minor burn through on the edge of the bumper don't worry about especially if you are sealing it.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 pm
chris wrote:They just don't want the AP laid on heavy...so yes a fine, light coat is all that is needed.

AP is only needed on raw plastic, not on top of the epoxy. And yes,if out of the recoat window you should sand the epoxy with p600 before the next step. Minor burn through on the edge of the bumper don't worry about especially if you are sealing it.

Ok, one set of the fillers are still raw plastic,let me know if this plan has any issues.

Ill scuff the raw bumper fillers, bolt them on the car, clean them with wax and grease remover, apply the adhesion promoter following directions, spray sealer on bumper fillers and entire car and contiue the painting process.

Now notice i said the raw plastic fillers will be bolted to the car and then sprayed with adhesion promotor.

Do i have to worry about getting adhesion promotor on other parts of the car? Do i need to mask off the car first before applying the AP on the fillers?

Sorry again with the million questions.

Thanks for the help!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:04 pm
Sounds good and no worries on the AP overspray on the other parts of the car. And you are fine putting the parts on the car before painting.
Previous

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic