Correct way of repainting bumper with flaking paint???

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:41 pm
I did a number on my moms bumper today, haha. It was an aftermarket plastic rear bumper from a Civic that was flaking, paint was terrible. I figured I'd sand it but I went too far. The bumper is rough and I tried to spray some primer on it but a good portion of it became fuzzy and looked like crap. What would have been the correct way to do this? Paint remover and then light scuff? Anything to save it now? I can get a new one for $30 so Im not out much money.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:58 am
Yeah bumpers can 'fuzz up' if sanded too aggressively. If old paint is really bad and peeling off sometimes it's better to just keep looking for a better replacement bumper to use. There are plastic-safe paint strippers you can get. You may be able to save this one by trying to sand it out no coarser than p220.

Generally on bumpers if raw plastic the process is: good washing, dry really well, wax/grease remover, sanding/scuffing, adhesion promoter, sealer, paint.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:56 pm
Thanks Chris. I will get a new aftermarket one tmmrw. It comes with some kind of sealant but not an actual primer. Question, after cleaning it and W&G remover should I scuff it with a maroon scotchbrite followed by Adhesion promotor; can I then use the Tamco DTM primer instead of an actual plastic sealant/primer? If not is there one that is easily accessible that you recommend? I don't expect it to last forever, its kind of just a quick little fix to make the car more appealing. Sorry but I couldn't find much info on this in this forum.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:10 am
Drew, absolutely - what you stated would work fine.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:30 pm
Well I got it done! Chris, using the adhesion promoter and DTM primer worked great. Besides a couple of nice runs and a couple of mishaps it turned out pretty good, thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:27 am
Excellent - glad to hear it worked out for you.

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic