Removing paint from a plastic bumper.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 pm
I need to repaint the rear bumper on my 2006 Explorer. It was not like this when I bought the vehicle 2.5 years ago. It started blistering about a year after I bought it. As you can see now it has developed into this:

It seems the rear bumper was replaced but the painter neglected to primer it or spray some adhesive to the bumper? What paint chips has peeled off, I did not notice any primer underneath it.

Questions:

The paint is not bubbling off the rest of the bumper. Just the corners. I'm thinking eventually the rest of the paint will continue to blister. I could primer into the areas where the paint was come off and feather it in but I think eventually the paint will start to blister in other places. As you can see it's starting to curl up around the edges.

What's the best method to remove the paint on the corners (not the whole bumper). Are there any chemical strippers out there would that do the job but not damage the plastic? What about using some sort of media like walnut shells? Sanding would definitely damage the plastic. I thought perhaps about using a high pressure washer sprayer.

I found a can of SEM base coat on Ebay for $18 was planning on using. Then hit it with some clear coat. Any special primer I need to use on plastic?

Just need some general advice. I have painted plastic in the past but have never had it to lift like this one is doing. It may just be because the surface is too smooth? I don't know why the paint is not peeling off the vertical sections of the bumper. Just the corners.

Thanks.
Kingsport Tennessee

2003 Subaru Baja
2006 Ford Explorer
1998 Chevy Express 1500
1980 Fiat Spider turbo
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1981 Trabant 601

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:07 pm
I do work for a lot of used car dealers and have seen this alot before. They want the cheapest job they can and end up paying someone who doesnt scuff the bumper or apply adhesion promoter.

You are right the paint will continue to come of. Sometimes you can get lucky and hit it with a high pressure washer and get the paint off. But if that doesnt work you may want to consider buying a new aftermarket bumper. Chemical strippers are not ideal for plastic bumpers. The ones that say safe for plastic bumpers arent strong enough to remove the paint that good. Sanding the bumper will make it have a rough texture that you will have to fight.

Good luck

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 pm
mmooney84 wrote:I do work for a lot of used car dealers and have seen this alot before. They want the cheapest job they can and end up paying someone who doesnt scuff the bumper or apply adhesion promoter.

You are right the paint will continue to come of. Sometimes you can get lucky and hit it with a high pressure washer and get the paint off. But if that doesnt work you may want to consider buying a new aftermarket bumper. Chemical strippers are not ideal for plastic bumpers. The ones that say safe for plastic bumpers arent strong enough to remove the paint that good. Sanding the bumper will make it have a rough texture that you will have to fight.

Good luck

I thought perhaps looking for a bumper painted the same color and just swap it out.

I'm really wanting to sell this vehicle and not put anymore money in it than I have to. I have too many "daily drivers" as it is (some not listed in my sig file) and despite being a Ford man, I'm sort of weary about the 6 speed transmissions in these Explorers.

I tried selling it last year but people kept nit picking me over it. "What's your bottom dollar" BS.

If it wasn't the mileage it was the V8 engine or the fact one of the third row seats wouldn't go up. I figured the paint peeling off the bumper was an instant turn off because people would think it was in an major accident and had frame damage or something.

For some reason the rear doors are scraping the rubbing boards when I open them:

I'm not sure what that is all about. I can fix that with some shims between the brackets and body.
Kingsport Tennessee

2003 Subaru Baja
2006 Ford Explorer
1998 Chevy Express 1500
1980 Fiat Spider turbo
1987 Yugo 1500 turbo
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1981 Trabant 601

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic