Deleting camper shell side windows.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:50 pm
So just light sand the old gel coat right & roll the new one over right? Should i reduce the gel coat? Thanks for heads up about sharpie. Whats a good epoxy primer? Also when i spray down the epoxy primer can add body filler over it then spray epoxy again? The fiberglass isn't flat it has about .25" slope but once i add the gel coat it should bring it to abou 3/16". Sorry for sooo many ?s

Thanks soo much for your help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 pm
Yep, and don't be afraid to get some "tooth" with that old gel coat. I'd sand it down with 320 to 400 grit. If you are rolling that gel coat I would try not to reduce it to get good thickness on. Gel coats go on thick and flow for awhile. Starting adding much in the way of reducer and it will start running/sagging. Any PPG, Transtar, NAPA (that's Sherwin Williams), or even O'Reillys jobber should be able to set you up with a good epoxy. PPG DPLF is good but expensive....they will also carry a Shopline budget series epoxy that's fine as well. You can also get the Tamco epoxy here at the Forum Storefront. And yes, bondo type fillers can be sandwiched in-between epoxy coats.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:48 am
Right on thanks alot for your help.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 am
Already rolled on the gel coat, just need to do little tuch ups due to pin holes not getting covered.
20170406_165647.jpg
20170406_165637.jpg
20170406_165629.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:23 pm
Blew up your pic.s and threw some filters over them....looking good to me. Minor pinholes are pretty normal with that stuff....well on your way to being done.... :rockon:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 am
Man I was pretty nervous on applying the gel coat. I thought with only one thick layer of gel coat would be enough so I added wax, so I ruff sanded the gel coat due to wax to add a second or third layer. Hopefully it doesn't rain on Wednesday or Thursday so I could finish it up.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:02 am
Yeah, you have to kind of watch it if moving on to a few more layers and you've already used your wax in your process. Bonding could be somewhat problematic.....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 am
I light sanded with 80 grit then 360 to remove the wax layer then added 2 thin layers of reduced gel coat.
unnamed.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:42 am
Really looks nice. I'm going to try and drag a few of the other guys over here to see what you've accomplished. Feels good to get something custom like this without spending the big bucks, huh? I'm assuming you're probably going to further color key it to the rest of the truck?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 am
Sure does feel good Darrelk, was a lot of work but it's completed. should of been finished a while ago but weather here in northen cali been crazy raining & cold. Shops around here were charging me $500-700 just to remove some excess fiberglass where I sealed the old windows, So I decided to purchase a other sander from harbor freight & finish the job my self. For the paint I want to get it painted soon, shops here in SF bay area charging me over $6k which its a lot of money for me. If I cant find shop in central valley or Sacramento that's cheaper I might take the truck down south to Mexicali with my step cousins friends they would just need supplies & paint.
PreviousNext

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic