Cracked/torn front bumper lip. Repair advice needed.

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:30 pm
I cracked the bottom lip spoiler in a parking malfunction. :( The crack is on the underside which can see some abuse (as can be seen by the scratches). Is there any repair that can stand up to the abuse this area sees? I'm afraid that epoxy or even the 3m repair system alone won't be strong enough. Right now I'm thinking:

A.) Bevel the crack on one side and fill with epoxy. Then coat then coat that side with this fancy Evercoat Fibertech kevlar filler I have laying around.

B.) Buy a hot stapler, staple, and then fill with epoxy.

C.) Spend $400 on a new lip.

Below is an image. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Okay, slow down..... First thing you need to do is identify your plastic here... Go to....
www.urethanesupply.com
If you look to the left you'll see various subjects, learning center, etc. There will be a section on identifying plastics plus recommendations on just what to do with them. The fact that the color does not appear to be "cast" through it make me think that it could be several different types of plastic. Some plastics can quite simply be welded with very little simple poly putty surfaced over them, while others might indeed require some build up of fiber enhanced tech. to hold up. It all starts with knowing what you are working with....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:12 pm
DarrelK wrote:Okay, slow down..... First thing you need to do is identify your plastic here... Go to....
http://www.urethanesupply.com
If you look to the left you'll see various subjects, learning center, etc. There will be a section on identifying plastics plus recommendations on just what to do with them. The fact that the color does not appear to be "cast" through it make me think that it could be several different types of plastic. Some plastics can quite simply be welded with very little simple poly putty surfaced over them, while others might indeed require some build up of fiber enhanced tech. to hold up. It all starts with knowing what you are working with....

Sounds good. The plastic is factory paint matched. I'll look for any markings that may identify the plastic, look on the Nissan/ Infiniti forums, and check out that website.

Thanks for the help!

-Jared

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:22 pm
he bumper lip is marked PPE/ Polyphenyl Ether. I'm seeing that there are a lot of PPE+ something elses. Would this normally be marked as such or are they all just marked PPE?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:27 pm
It is probably just straight PPE unless you are seeing the +PS or +PA symbols with it. Doesn't matter that much as from what I understand those are somewhat like "additives" to the base mix which improve some aspects of the parts performance (could be like rigidity, flexibility, etc.). Based on the charts over at Urethane Supply that appears to need to be plastic fusion welded for the best repair with more added compatible plastic as needed. I'd shop around and see if a local small body shop could do the plastic weld for you and then finish it up yourself.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:02 pm
DarrelK wrote:It is probably just straight PPE unless you are seeing the +PS or +PA symbols with it. Doesn't matter that much as from what I understand those are somewhat like "additives" to the base mix which improve some aspects of the parts performance (could be like rigidity, flexibility, etc.). Based on the charts over at Urethane Supply that appears to need to be plastic fusion welded for the best repair with more added compatible plastic as needed. I'd shop around and see if a local small body shop could do the plastic weld for you and then finish it up yourself.

Sounds great thanks!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic