Filling fiberglass gaps

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 pm
I have a question regarding filling or adding to a fiberglass panel to make it fit better. I put a rear valance from another car on a Volvo 240 which leaves me with more of a gap than I desire and obviously not a perfect fit.

I am wondering what process I would need to do to add to the valance to make it fit better. I was thinking I could put some aluminum tape on the car body and use some cloth and chopped glass to smooth and fill the gap while on the car? The gap is not much more than a 1/4 inch in some areas and am thinking I may ad some more support in other areas. This is why I am thinking about doing it while on the car.

Looking forward to hear from people with experience. I'm itching to pick up more skills and get into some body work projects.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:38 pm
Sure, no reason you can't experiment with that right on the car. I've built whole nose/chin spoilers that way and also rear wings. Just keep in mind that if you fill the gaps and actually try to "bridge"any gaps that you need to allow some room for movement/vibration. And yeah, that aluminum HVAC style tape makes a good backer. If you've got more difficult areas to shape you can get in there with modeling clay or even play dough as well.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic