Suggestions on correcting this error on my bumper

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 am
van bumper flaws_1.jpg
Hello and Thanks for any who will read and make suggestions of any sort. I am a long-time fan and reader who has finally taken the plunge and started painting. My first attempt (after a few panels) was to prep and spray a replacement bumper (shocker, I know) for my 2006 Honda Minivan (silver metallic). All in all, I was pleased for a first effort, but I realize that my lighting was inadequate, as was my basecoat coverage. I did not get good coverage into the recessed areas of the bumper (some of them). I have pictures to show, but would just like suggestions on the best way to fix this problem.

As far as I know, the best solution would be to sand the trouble spots down again with ~320/400 grit, sand away scratches to 800 grit, remove all dust and contaminants, re-spray with the base coat, then scuff the remainder of the bumper, clean/santitize the surface again and re-clear the whole thing.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

--HATS

van bumper flaws_1.jpg

van bumper flaws_2.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:43 pm
Well, you've obviously been listening to us on here. That is indeed what needs to be done. It is pretty natural for the novice sprayer to back off areas like this because you don't want to hammer the base hard enough for runs in those areas. Lighting conditions contribute to the problem as well. Next time, when you think you've got coverage, go ahead and hit another coat of base on their and take it out into full sunlight just to check it before moving on to your clear.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:54 pm
Thanks, Darrel. That is, in fact, how I will proceed. I'll post the results and thanks for the confirmation.

Cheers,
HATS

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic