Interior Paint

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 pm
I have a 67 Mustang Fastback that has fiberglass interior panels. I already have the metal doors and dash painted with a rattle can interior paint. It's lacquer paint and was purchased from a restoration company. Although I successfully painted these areas, it was a pain.

I cannot envision painting these large fiberglass panels with false leather grain. These cans have terrible nozzles and can quickly fill the grain of the panel.

I thought about carrying a painted part and have someone match and mix a quart and spray in in my Sata gun.

I have never done this and am not sure if I need to stay with lacquer. I'm not sure if another application will work and who should mix it. I need some advise here gents on options.

Thanks,

John

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:54 am
Hi, John,
I am far from any expert on interior stuff but I can relate what I've done in the past and do shoot a lot of lacquer on woods and metals in my restoration shop. First, yeah, get out your Sata and see if you can have a local jobber make up your color. You are correct about your gun being the precision delivery device for not hammering all of that grain texture closed. Lacquer is also good for that as it is the thinnest of the surface coatings so it will not fill in that grain as much as other coatings. Those are interior wear surfaces so they should hold up decent and of course, one of lacquers biggest benefits is its' ease of repair. Lacquer always melts into lacquer so repair work can be darn near invisible. If for any reason you can't get them to make your color check out Dupli-Color Shop Paint stuff. If you look around you can find it for like $20+ or so quart and can easily mix canned colors together to get most interior colors "close."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic