Fixing scuffs on plastic bumper?

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:40 pm
Hi,
On my 2004 Buick Lesabre I am fixing some surface rust spots. I don't want to go into details on that, but I am going to be sanding the rust/paint down to bare metal and using self etch primer, base coat, and 2k clear to do that. Getting spray cans from Sherwin-Williams Automotive. While I'm at it I feel like I should look into doing these plastic bumper scuffs too. Can I use regular primer, or does it have to be a special plastic adhesion primer?

I am also not sure how to go about prepping and painting these scuffs.

Thanks

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:51 pm
I should probably 'sticky' this post - take a look at my response to this topic which is very similar to what you are asking about:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17258

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:11 pm
Chris, that would make a great "sticky." Any chance we could put it at the top of our Fiberglass section?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 am
I was at Sherwin Williams Automotive the other day and the guy told me that I just need to primer and paint the bumper and don't need special plastic adhesion primer. He said I only need adhesion promoter when painting a new bumper. He also asked if it is hard plastic or flexible plastic; it's flexible.
I am trying to at least paint over that 1" x 8" scuff on one side of the bumper if possible.

Do you agree with what the guy told me?

I am also wondering where I should be looking for sand paper. It seems like it could be a waste if I buy a pack of each grit I'll need.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 pm
If there's factory primer in those spots it'll be ok. If it's really down to raw plastic it should have adhesion promoter. There's a good chance it'll be ok for just those small spots but if ever tapped there again it may be prone to chipping/cracking easier.

On the sandpaper most auto body supply places will sell you single sheets.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:10 pm
chris wrote:If there's factory primer in those spots it'll be ok. If it's really down to raw plastic it should have adhesion promoter. There's a good chance it'll be ok for just those small spots but if ever tapped there again it may be prone to chipping/cracking easier.

On the sandpaper most auto body supply places will sell you single sheets.

It's down to raw plastic. Is there an alternative to the 3M 5907 adhesion promoter you linked to in your bumper repair sticky? I am only doing a small area so would be nice to get something in either a smaller can or in a small applicator, that is relatively inexpensive, etc.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:34 pm
If you hit a Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto, you should find Bulldog in an aerosol. In my opinion the 3M is a better product but for what you are doing the Bulldog should be fine.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic